Hybrid v 'road race' bike for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roscco

in the near future i may consider commuting to work (36 mile round trip) a few days a week using pedal power. Ive never used a hybrid and was wondering... for those who have had the use of both typres of bike (road race and hybrid), is there much difference (apart from the handlebars!)

rb58

Enigma
I've used both on my commute and the main difference for me was the upright riding position on the hybrid meaning better visibility in traffic. Also, the V brakes on my hybrid were better than the dual pivot callipers on the road bike. Which was good for confidence. Having said that, my road bike is steel and so much more comfortable than my hybrid that I now only use the road bike.

Tynan

Veteran
I rode mtbs and then hybrids in London traffic and now a road bike and the road bike has been best, it's faster, comfier and visibility is just as good and it stops just fine, I consider the theory that road bikes arent good in traffic nonsense, you can ride on the hoods if want to be upright

if you're going to be riding 35 miles you'll most definitely enjoy and benfit from a proper road bike with thinner tyres and the ability to use drops in a head wind

Crankarm

Guru
Get a touring bike such as a Dawes Galaxy. You can then fit panniers and not have the discomfort and nuisance of a rucksack on your back. Plus it will be more comfortable to ride than a race bike, almost as quick and still have drop handle bars. A touring bike should be a lot more durable. A hybrid doesn't excel at anything it is a ......... hybrid. If I was buying a bike again then I wouldn't buy a hybrid which I have done, but a proper touring bike with drop handle bars as I find my road bike with drops so much comfortable to ride except it would be no good for commuting. Hyrbids have frame geometry that is a compromise and certainly not ideally suited to cycling lots of miles in comfort at a fair old pace. Plus when you want to go on a touring holiday or a few days away you already have the touring bike to do it.

I use a Tifosi CK7 classic as a commuter and it does the job nicely, apart from the fact that it came fitted with 20mm tyres which, given the rapidly deteriorating state of our roads, aren't really deep enough to soak up all of the bumps thrown at them. I've fitted a rack but have to take cars I don't load it up too much as it is strictly speaking an ali-framed audax bike. Nice and quick for the work run though :biggrin:

Asprilla

My daily commute is a 36 miles round trip which I do on either a 'road race' bike, a fixed track bike or an alfine tourer. The one thing they all have in common are drop handlebars. My flat bar fixed and mtb are for shorter journeys as they simply aren't quick or comfortable enough for a commute of 18 miles.

It's worth noting that my drop bars also have a flat bit along the top, so if I'm worried about visability (which I'm not as I'm higher than most vehicles even on a size 51 frame) I can use that and be in the same upright position as a hybrid.

My tourer and fixed have panniers, but in the summer I use a rucksack on the road bike. It's can get annoying sometimes, but that's mainly if I've loaded it badly, otherwise I don't really notice it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For that distance, I would consider a road bike - guards, rack, panniers. Road bikes have more hand positions than Hybrids anyway. Hybrids are great in heavy traffic, or where you might have a bit of 'track' to cycle down.

I use a hybrid with bar ends. Commute about 16 miles a day. I'm a short @rse so the compromise in the hybrid frame actually suits me - plus the bar ends let me get down over the bars in the event of a headwind! Don't notice any discomfort and the options for storage on the bike, rather than on my back, win it for me.

jimboalee

My commute is 14 miles, 23 if I ride the full distance.

I'll use any bike in the shed except the Moulton Mini, 'cus it has a SS 48" gear and 5 1/2" cranks.

There is NOT a distance that is "Too long" for an Adult's bicycle.

It's the rider's ability that makes the decision.....:laugh:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Road bike: lovely and quick for a commute, and for me, will use it if I do the full 32m.

Bejaysus though, it's scary to ride something that fast in heavy traffic, so generally prefer the roadified MTB or the Brompton for safety's sake.

Jezston

Über Member
My tuppence:

To add to what other people have said, DEFINITELY a bike with drop handlebars (i.e. racer type rather than flat handlebars). For those kinds of distances, you'll want to change your hand positions regularly, and being able to move down to the drops in a headwind when you feel confident enough too (which won't take long!) is a must. I got a flat barred bike when I started commuting and I REALLY regret it. Currently have a bizarre bullhorn based configuration which is an improvement, but my next bike is definitely going to be drop bar based.

So reiterate what others have said DROPS DROPS DROPS DROPS DROPS!

Now you have drop bars, this doesn't necessarily mean pure racing road bike. There are a lot of variations on themes. You have:
- Road bike - minimalist set up, low and fast, skinny-as tyres
- Audax - slightly beefier for harsher rides and able to take mudguards
- Tourer - longer, bigger, heavier, more upright for long load carrying journeys
- Cyclocross - beefier and heavier with chunky tyres for off road racing.

Then you have all sorts of 'hybrids' that mix elements of the above along with elements of mountain bike, utility, shopping basket etc type bikes.

Example - this is the bike I feel I should have got instead of the one I did:
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=22716
This is technically a hybrid - mountain bike frame and forks but based around thinner and bigger 700c wheels. Handlebar position is somewhat higher than a regular road bike for comfort and visibility (although I agree visibility is hardly reduced by riding lower). Wheel rims are flexible enough to take chunky 37mm commuter and offroad tyres, as well as narrower 25mm slick road tyres so you can swap depending on what ride you are doing. So it's very flexible and can keep up with the road boys if you feel like pushing it!

adds21

Rider of bikes
I use both a hybrid (flat bars) and an audax (drops) for commuting, and would generally echo what others have said. I'm much quicker commuting on the audax than I am on the hybrid, but I'll still use the hybrid if I need to take a lot into work (mostly because I haven't fitted a rack on the audax. One of the best things I ever bought for the hybrid was a set of Ergon GC3 bar ends which, while not cheap, make a massive different to comfort. I get occasional back and neck trouble which sometimes makes riding on drops difficult, with the bar ends on the hybrid, I'm more than happy to take that instead.

jimboalee

Road bike: lovely and quick for a commute, and for me, will use it if I do the full 32m.

Bejaysus though, it's scary to ride something that fast in heavy traffic, so generally prefer the roadified MTB or the Brompton for safety's sake.

This guy's got a 'Throttle sticking open' problem.

Top Bottom