Hybrid vs Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bugner said:
I had the same dilemma when getting a bike via the scheme for 12 mile each way commute. Ended up buying the Specialized Tricross (Cyclocross Bike) Bit more robust than a road bike miles lighter than a mountain bike. It also has what is sometimes known as 'sissy brake levers' on the main hadlebar as well as the standard drop handlebar brakes if it takes you a while to get used to the drops, but to be honest a lot of the time I have my hands on the hoods anyway. I love it!! Great bike!!
I'm debating the merits of a Cyclocross bike for my commute, not that I will be in a position to buy a new one for some time. :biggrin:

I currently commute on a basic MTB (Giant Rincon) which I have "hybridised" with narrower, smoother tyres and a few other bits and bobs. My rationale behind getting that bike was that I never really intended to commute by bike: I was mainly going to plod about on trails and so on with the kids. However, I am now an "every day" commuter.

The bike does actually quite suit my commute because a fair chunk of it is off road: through woods, across a couple of fields, down a (not too badly surfaced) bridleway, round a lake if the fancy takes me and so on. Having said that, there's quite a bit of road work too. So I'm always going to be compromised .. it's just a case of which way I bias it, I guess.

Does anyone else have experiences of commuting by cyclo-cross .. it clearly suits Bugner.

jimboalee

When selecting a bike to commute and Audax, I set some MINIMUM requirements.

1/ Shimano Tiagra or better - not those silly Sora triggers.
2/ Dropped bars.
3/ Stainless spokes.
4/ AHead set.
5/ Tripple chainset.
6/ Mudguard clearance.
7/ Less than £500.

With this, I scoured the market and arived at the Dawes Giro 500.
It ticked all the boxes and was from my old friends at Castle Bromwich.

My advice is to set a list of MINIMUM requirements and a price limit.
Surf and draw up a short list.
Then go by looks.

Thanks Jimbo; top advice .. for any major purchase, not just a new bike.

I tend to work with a list of requirements, anyway, and then research what fits the bill. Having done the commute for almost a year I have a far better idea of what I need .. and of course the use I'm putting the bike to doesn't fit my earlier expectations.

Mrs-LC did comment the other day that, "you'll be wearing that one out and wanting a new one". Which is promising. I suspect it will have to do me another year, though .. unless we find I can get rid of my car. Tempting.

Still, gives me plenty of time to explore what I want, and go to lots of shops for test rides. It's a fun dilemma to be in. ;)

Top Bottom