Hybrid vs Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MY95

So ive got a Boardman Hybrid Comp 2013, currently weighs 10.2kgs (half a kilo less when I upgrade the wheels) Find it comfy as it is, has 28mm rubino pro's on and the standard sram x5 and avid bb5 kit with boardmans standard frame/forks/finishing kit, 50/34 double compact with 11-28 rear, pretty much a road bike bar the bars and brake discs really.

I ride 20-70 miles each outing, and am looking to do a few sportives, Average 14mph+ on long rides and 16mph+ on shorter ones, my Q is would a road bike be that much quicker being the same weight/having the same size tyres on and would I really gain that much?

Bought my current bike for £180, and will have it at 9.5kg for around the £300 mark all in, would it be worth getting a similar weight road bike or keep this? Dont want to spend a fair wack of money to find I wont be much quicker at all.

I was considering buying a carbon frame/forks and building a road bike, would weigh around a kilo less than my hybrid, but dont want to spend around £500 on a road bike that would maybe only get me 1 mph quicker, prefer the flat bars so would rather put money into this if there was going to be little difference.

Is an equivalent road bike all things considered going to be any quicker in reality? or is it more the rider?

Cheers!
Matthew

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have the same Hybrid as you but wouldn't like to ride it for long distances. It is ok for going into town but that's all for me. My road bike is lighter, better riding position for going uphill and longer distances and also easier to lean over the bike. With the hybrid, you can't move your hands so much. Try a road bike and then decide for yourself.

OP
OP
M

MY95

Going to go to the LBS on Monday and see what a slightly higher spec road bike was like, just wondering if I would be any quicker in reality, find that will upgraded tyres it goes a lot faster mind (folding bead and a few hundred grams less a tyre vs wire bead and heavy budget tyres as standard)
Woud be looking at a Giant Defy 1 or 2 if I was to upgrade (105 kit but only 1kg less than hybrid), but thats only if its only going to be a significant amount quicker really.

Last edited:

gavroche

Going to go to the LBS on Monday and see what a slightly higher spec road bike was like, just wondering if I would be any quicker in reality, find that will upgraded tyres it goes a lot faster mind (folding bead and a few hundred grams less a tyre vs wire bead and heavy budget tyres as standard)
Woud be looking at a Giant Defy 1 or 2 if I was to upgrade, but thats only if its only going to be a significant amount quicker really
Why is speed so important to you? Are you young and wanting to compete?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The narrower more head down position on a drop bar road bike would make you more aero - even on the hoods.

Hard to say if that would make much difference at your 14/15mph average.

OP
OP
M

MY95

Not looking to compete just yet no (21 so yes fairly young) but would like to in the future, fairly fit/quick at the moment due to doing other cardio sports competing at fairly high levels and gym work so very fit naturally for the bike, and done a lot of black trails on the mountain bikes for years but just switched to road biking and loving it, but know I could hit a few mph higher average with training and a quicker bike. Never done any training or real road biking in the past so happy with a 14-17mph average depending on the roads/wind) so know with training theres a few more mph in it (and poss a road bike)

OP
OP
M

MY95

The narrower more head down position on a drop bar road bike would make you more aero - even on the hoods.

Hard to say if that would make much difference at your 14/15mph average.

How would it not make much difference with around a 15mph ish average on longer rides?

gavroche

Not looking to compete just yet no (21 so yes fairly young) but would like to in the future, fairly fit/quick at the moment due to doing other cardio sports competing at fairly high levels and gym work so very fit naturally for the bike, and done a lot of black trails on the mountain bikes for years but just switched to road biking and loving it, but know I could hit a few mph higher average with training and a quicker bike. Never done any training or real road biking in the past so happy with a 14-17mph average depending on the roads/wind) so know with training theres a few more mph in it (and poss a road bike)
Well, as you are young and intending to compete eventually, get a road bike, you will notice the difference in many areas. Good luck.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How would it not make much difference with around a 15mph ish average on longer rides?

Perhaps it might, I have neither the riding experience nor access to test data or understanding of the complex physics involved to tell you.

Common sense suggests a more aero position should assist, but wind resistance is less important/has less of an impact at slower speeds.

For example, it's largely accepted that sheltering behind another rider on a windless day at, say 10/12mph, makes very little difference.

My opinion is 15mph and above puts you in possible aero benefit territory, but it's hard to say if a drop bar position at that speed would be much better than you hunching over flat bars.

OP
OP
M

MY95

Thanks guys, good advice Pale Rider, I know the aero position/bike would make a difference, but cant be that much difference surely, just need someone who knows their physics and stuff and is a very competent and experienced rider to come along and share their view :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Put narrow (23mm or 25mm) slick lighter tyres on the flat bar and see how you go

I'm not faster in reality on a road bike, but I can ride further without upper body pains

I'm not exactly a racing snake and I'm 44. The two types of bike serve a different purpose. The flat bar is more for commuting and shopping and as something different to the rest of the fleet

You said you don't like road bikes in another post for some reason?

You'll struggle to build a carbon bike out of quality new parts for £500 too

OP
OP
M

MY95

Thanks guys, going to go to the nearest Giant store on Monday and test ride either the Giant Defy 0 or 1 as both seem to get rave reviews and have a great spec, anyone got one? https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bike-compare/
In two minds just to spend money on my hybrid as I can get it to a similar weight and still have money left compared to buying a new bike like the above.

Top Bottom