Hydration Back Packs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

line71

Any recommendations or experience of using these?
Keen to know if road cyclists use them and if they are compatible with long distances as opposed to the usual bottles
thanks

Some do, some don't TBH, but IME more don't than do.

I have one but very seldom use it all, and I never use it on the road bike as my bottles suffice, or on longer rides I carry money for refills anyway.

If you've got one and like it then use it, some roadies will turn there nose up at you using one on the road, but feck 'em I say, do whatever you are comfortable with.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I very rarely see a roadie with a Camelbak on. I personally wouldn't use one as it would be uncomfortable and make me sweaty. 2 bottles normally do me, and I can find a place for a refill if needed.

MTBers use them a lot and they have a good reason - bottles will bounce out of cages on rough terrain - so they are a very good thing, I'm not saying otherwise. Just not for road bikes IMO.

I'll put up with a backpack for a short distance, but I find it uncomfortable carrying anything heavy on my back in the position I am in on a road bike. I'd be OK with it on an MTB with a more upright position.

rovers1875

Veteran
Depends if you like water tasting like plastic / rubber. I have several type including camelback platypus etc and to varying degrees they all taste funny, and are extortionately expensive. Stick with nice hard plastic water bottles, unless your going so far off the beaten track that you won't go past a shop / garage.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I have a camelbak. I used it through the winter but haven't used it for months. I'll probably start using it again as the weather gets cold and wet. It's easier to drink from in poor weather and avoids mucky bottles.

I use mine touring, priceless in hotter climes. Tesco have one for iirc £11, worth a punt if you want to give one a try.

keyop_75

I have to use one as well as bottle. I can go through 2 litres of fluid in 30 miles. So if I don't use one I would really struggle. I use mine on my road and hybrid bike.

OP
OP
L

line71

Thanks for the advice,i know its a road bike faux pas to wear any form of back pack but i ride around with a small rucksack anyway with my pump/tools/lock anyway so its not an issue although i do get very wet at the end of a ride
I cant see what the alternative to take all my stuff out without a back pack,shoving stuff into a cycling jersey i find awkward and leaving home without my tools etc is unthinkable
I was considering the hydration pack as i would be putting a 1 litre bottle in my normal pack and stopping and starting taking it off to take a drink after my frame bidons are done
The convenience of drinking from the tube seems like a good compromise

keyop_75

The only problem with the camelbak is there isn't any room for anything else other than a little pouch for keys or phone. I actually removed the reservoir part and shoved it into the front compartment on a normal backpack. Cut a small hole in the top for the tube and it works fine. I can then carry other stuff I might need. I should be on Blue Peter!! :smile:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As I've been tagged, my two cents...
As TMN has noted, more often than not I ride long distance stuff with a Deuter Bike 1 rucksack (20L, straps to compress the size down when you don't need it), for which I have a 3l Deuter bladder. Both excellent bits of kit. I sweat anyway, a bag on my bag doesn't make much difference, and unlike some I prefer the weight on my back rather than my bike. I don't have the balance to ride and drink from a bottle so a bladder is much better for me in that respect. Also a very handy convenient way to carry a lot of fluid- lighter than four 750ml bottles, and you don't need to keep shopping or topping up en route. I do have a Carradice SQR bag, but with anything in it the bike starts feeling more like a truck than a sports car. The bladder and tubing is well-coated, and does not taint (unlike most of my bottles).

Tyke

Many rucksacks now come with an air back making a small gap between you and the rucksack to allow air to flow through. Not ideal but much less sweaty than a normal rucksack.

Sully

Über Member
For me the reason not to use a camelback, hydration pack, call it what you will by many "roadies" is down to aesthetics, come on now let's be honest, in a World already fraught with snobbery we are seen to be ott for wearing a team cycle jersey the same applies, we'll it's something I'll deffo be bringing from my MBT days onto the Tarmac, it's a no brainer for me, bang a few ice cubes in and you've got fresh unpolluted liquid for several hours, against a bottle which 9 times out of 10 tastes like you've been sucking on a domino :0

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The only problem with the camelbak is there isn't any room for anything else other than a little pouch for keys or phone. I actually removed the reservoir part and shoved it into the front compartment on a normal backpack. Cut a small hole in the top for the tube and it works fine. I can then carry other stuff I might need. I should be on Blue Peter!! :smile:

Or you could have just bought the bladder and saved some dosh.

Top Bottom