Hydration Back Packs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
When I'm going for a full day's off-road riding I'll fill my camelback the night before and freeze it. Same with a water bottle, into which I slip a mars bar, then pop in the freezer. Always leave a little room for expansion with the bottle, it's not so crucial with the bladder as it is fairly stretchy.

I find that the camelback acts as a heat-sink for my back and melts at a rate that matches my need for hydration. I keep the mars bar as a prize for reaching the top of the biggest climb, when it's still lovely and cool and not melted in the summer heat.

That's my top tip for today.

GC

I sometimes use hydration pack on longer rides. Got a Camelbak Rogue (got it for £25) and find it has enough space for snacks, keys, wallet, tubes and tools. Can also fit in a minipump and lightweight waterproof. I've never noticed a bad taste with the water, just gotta make sure that you empty it after a ride. Yes it does make your back sweaty but I like to drink quite a lot so have squash/energy drinks in the bottle and water in the backpack.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check out some of the Decathlon ones. My son has one and its good for 3 litres and other kit. Plenty of pockets.

Sweat, pah.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I bought the Osprey Raptor 6 which came with a 3ltr camelback waterbladder while it was on clearance at evanscycles, Ive used it to or three times in the past year during the summer when temperatures were 25-33'c here in london. The backpack is small enough to hold a few snacks and the usual pump, spare tubes and multi-tool. but thats about it. Its quite a light, compact and low profile peice of kit. A lot of the Raptor line of bags have been discontinued now though :/

If i'd had to recommend something. Id wholeheartedly recommend the Race EXP Air bye Deuter

backnfront.jpg

Theres a metal frame or wiring at the back which along with the mesh, keeps the bag propped up almost completely off your back so that air can still circulate and you get less of a sweaty back

IMG_4424.jpg

It has space for a camelback as well though I have never used mine with it. but I have used the same backpack on 25-33'c rides and commutes and it has been most awesome and i cant recommend it enough. Its only a 10+2ltr bag so you cant exactly take the kitchen sink with you but you'll be able to carry all of the important stuff and a few extras.

Last edited:
Top Bottom