Hydration While Riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found that the fizzy tablets got expensive so now make my own with a bag of electrolytes from bulk powders. Cheap as chips and presumably delicious sprinkled over them.
I get maltodextrin from that bunch or one of their fellow outfits ever since some good folks on here recommended it . 5kg at a time. Great stuff - helps a lot on my longer (some overnight) rides. But still use zero tabs - you reckon your stuff is as good? Can you provide a link?

PS - I assume you don't actually "make your own" tabs, somehow compress the powder - just measure some electrolyte powder in.

PPS - is your electrolyte powder flavoured? I am somewhat partial to zero tabs berry.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I get maltodextrin from that bunch or one of their fellow outfits ever since some good folks on here recommended it . 5kg at a time. Great stuff - helps a lot on my longer (some overnight) rides. But still use zero tabs - you reckon your stuff is as good? Can you provide a link?

PS - I assume you don't actually "make your own" tabs, somehow compress the powder - just measure some electrolyte powder in.

PPS - is your electrolyte powder flavoured? I am somewhat partial to zero tabs berry.
This is the stuff I use, works out approx £0.01 per bottle: https://www.bulk.com/uk/electrolyte-powder.html

It is unflavoured (but tastes salty, of course) so I add whatever I fancy to it. Usually fruit squash - either lemon and lime or orange.

I buy maltodextrin and protein from them, too. The combination of those three ingredients gives great flexibility to mix up a hydration drink for short sessions, carb drink for longer sessions, or 4:1 carb/protein for recovery. Very flexbile. Never buy anything full price from bulk powders though - with the right combinations of codes, referals, discounts etc you can get everything at a "discount" of 50% or more.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I also use just water - the secondary benefit is that you can use it as just water for other purposes should it be required; in the past I have used it to cleanse wounds and clear mud from derailleurs.
Same here. I'll add an important further use (for hot weather) which is as a body coolant. So keep at least one bottle for clear potable water. On long rides I quite often fill the other one with milk at a stop where I can't neck a full fat litre standing outside.
A camelbak hydration bladder would be better as you’ve no idea what is getting sprayed onto your bottles, there can be all sorts of nasties in the mud/puddles such as dog/waterfowl faeces on the towpath, last thing you want is to ingest that.
So let me just check this: you're suggesting that the millions of cyclists who use a bottle stowed in a cage on their bike are ingesting and suffering from the spray from surface 'water'? Or is this just a towpath thing? I reckon the residual lurgies inside a Camelbak, especially if it's used for anything except plain water, are much more likely to give you the sh1ts - the second last thing you want is to ingest is that. (Denture cleaning tablets are best for drinking bladder hygiene, plus fresh air drying.)
Oh, and avoid sucking the top of the bottle: squirt it, but stay aero of course.

...but i like to have some taste is there any reason i shouldn't use something like SIS hydro tablets? The non caffeine ones.

I know most people say its pointless on relatively short rides compared to what a lot of people do i just want to know if there's any down side to my use case with these tablets.
Nope, should be fine. Could even be a good idea with your illness (which I know nothing about, I should stress!)

( Now: is there a prize for the first reply that actually answers the flippin question??? )

DRM

Guru
Same here. I'll add an important further use (for hot weather) which is as a body coolant. So keep at least one bottle for clear potable water. On long rides I quite often fill the other one with milk at a stop where I can't neck a full fat litre standing outside.

So let me just check this: you're suggesting that the millions of cyclists who use a bottle stowed in a cage on their bike are ingesting and suffering from the spray from surface 'water'? Or is this just a towpath thing? I reckon the residual lurgies inside a Camelbak, especially if it's used for anything except plain water, are much more likely to give you the sh1ts - the second last thing you want is to ingest is that. (Denture cleaning tablets are best for drinking bladder hygiene, plus fresh air drying.)
Oh, and avoid sucking the top of the bottle: squirt it, but stay aero of course.
No, you’re not reading what I said, I specifically said towpath, where dogs are walked, swans, ducks and geese also walk and crap freely on the towpath, some roads can also be a bit dodgy in the countryside, particularly where livestock waste can wash on to it due to heavy rain.

Reactions: C R

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No, you’re not reading what I said, I specifically said towpath, where dogs are walked, swans, ducks and geese also walk and crap freely on the towpath, some roads can also be a bit dodgy in the countryside, particularly where livestock waste can wash on to it due to heavy rain.
Never done me no harm :okay:

Kryton521

Über Member
I can't stand the taste of water from plastic bottles. Like a little flavour.

Only use "hydration/Energy" powders in the bottles through the summer, warm months.

Each to their own

figbat

Slippery scientist
I can't stand the taste of water from plastic bottles. Like a little flavour.

Me neither, but the water from my Source bladder and Camelbak Podium bottle are tasteless.

Another reason I use just water is that it is all too easy for a flavoured fluid to generate mould or other growth if forgotten/overlooked or not well-cleaned.

I will use an energy drink on a very long ride but I will always have fresh water with me too, either in a separate bottle or in my hydration pack.

Sharky

Guru
I also use just water - the secondary benefit is that you can use it as just water for other purposes should it be required; in the past I have used it to cleanse wounds and clear mud from derailleurs.
I had a head on collision today.
I'm OK and before you ask, the bike's ok as well.
I think the flying insect probably came off far worse than me.

But it hit me right in the eye. Felt like a cricket ball hitting me. But I remembered this post and and as it was still stinging, stopped and used my water to bathe my eye, before carrying on.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Glad you and the bike are OK @Sharky
[Off topic]
Thank goodness you were wearing a helmet otherwise that collision could have had far worse consequences. ;)
There is no proof (or is there?) that eye coverings reduce injury, but I wear them just the same.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
There is no proof (or is there?) that eye coverings reduce injury, but I wear them just the same.
Don't know? Even though I am a bit short sighted, I don't usually wear glasses when on a bike. I find that they give me neck ache as the top of the frames obscure my vision, so have to raise my head up too much. Need a Dennis Taylor pair of specs.

But after yesterday, I might try them again for riding.

Top Bottom