Hydraulic brake binding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lutonloony

Über Member
have done a quick search but can't find answer. With bike on storage hanger, I gave front wheel a spin as I walked by (as you do!), notice that it does not spin as expected. After much listening, sounds like disk pad is rubbing slightly on disc. Does this imply there is crap on the pads and they need cleaning, or are there other options?

TIA

G3CWI

Veteran
Take it for a ride. It will probably sort itself out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some disks can be slightly out of true. You can carefully bend them straight with an adjustable spanner if you are careful. You probably need to check that the calliper is correctly aligned and the pads aren't touching.

Flyboy

Just release the bolts holding the calliper , pull your brake then retighten your calliper bolts you will find they don't wear even , so doing this will even them back out .
PS tighten the bolts while you are still pulling your brake ie it locks your wheel.

Jody

Stubborn git
Can you see daylight down both sides of the pads? If not they need to be realigned. If yes then see Fosys reply as the disc might be slightly warped. Lift the bike, spin the wheel and see if the discs is moving side to side or if it is in constant contact with one pad.

I prefer to align by eye as it avoids the disc flexing slightly when you torque the bolts up.

Tom B

Guru
Swap the disk black/front see if the noise moves.

I had this a few times, once was crap pads that were the wrong shape, once it was a seized Piston and on another occasion a loose spoke that sounded just like a binding pad every time it went around.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Swap the disk black/front see if the noise moves.

I had this a few times, once was crap pads that were the wrong shape, once it was a seized Piston and on another occasion a loose spoke that sounded just like a binding pad every time it went around.

Psst... many bikes don't have same size disks front and back.

OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member
Meant to say, the old slacken bolts, hold lever, tighten bolts worked a treat. Didn't realise it was literally a 2 min job!!

Top Bottom