Hydraulic Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BretonM

Hello all,
I am buying a bike with mechanical disc brakes but would love to put hydraulic brakes on it.
Would the process be easy enough to do and will rotor size and brand effect whether I can put it on my bike.
Thanks.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Hello all,
I am buying a bike with mechanical disc brakes but would love to put hydraulic brakes on it.
Would the process be easy enough to do and will rotor size and brand effect whether I can put it on my bike.
Thanks.
Also could you guys please give me some simple, cheap and effective upgrades that will make a difference to the feel of the bike.
And for the hydraulic brakes I have a budget of about £100, what type should I get.

I like the Norco's,good bike to upgrade.
fossyant kinda nailed it with the deore suggestion,so go with them for your budget.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I like the Norco's,good bike to upgrade.
fossyant kinda nailed it with the deore suggestion,so go with them for your budget.
Yeah, they look like a simple yet fun bike.
I was thinking:
•Get Hydraulic Brakes
•New Grips
•New Pedals
•Nicer Tyres.

Just remember it's not an out and out trail bike for long trail rides,a bike for an all day shot if you like.
More for short blasts and jumps in the hilly mud sections.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another vote for Shimano hydraulic discs - one of the company's better products.

They come pre-bled, ready to go.

Hose lengths are the same on most bikes, so it's very unlikely you will need to alter that.

Given the vast majority of braking on a bike is done at the front, a cheaper and simpler option would be to put a hydraulic on the front and leave the back as it is.

One thing you will need to work out before buying is whether the calliper is post mount or side mount.

Other than that, the brake should bolt straight on.

Although as we are talking about working on a bicycle, there might be a little snag or two to overcome somewhere.

keithmac

Guru
I dunno what that means, sorry mate.
Could you inform me.

Just wondering if the distance between the brake caliper mounting lugs on the frame and forks are an industry standard?.

My Carrera looks like it has and adapter between the frame and calipers (came from the factory like this).

Maybe best to measure between the hole centres to make sure the new caliper will bolt correctly?.

Top Bottom