Hydraulic Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
There are at least 3 standards that I'm aware of - flat mount, post mount and I.S.

Adaptors are available to fit most brakes to most mounts, but check before you buy!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Just wondering if the distance between the brake caliper mounting lugs on the frame and forks are an industry standard?.

My Carrera looks like it has and adapter between the frame and calipers (came from the factory like this).

Maybe best to measure between the hole centres to make sure the new caliper will bolt correctly?.
The adapter is there to take into account the size of the rotor, and the type of caliper. So if you are buying deore to fit a 160mm rotor setup you would need the appropriate adapter for it (easy to find, just Google them). The hole centres in the frame are an industry standard.

Jody

Stubborn git
Another vote for Deore. Shop around though, as SLX hydro are the bogs dollocks and with luck you might find them for little more, but Deore would also be an excellent choice.

I've got them and they are indeed a great brake. I can't seem to find any for sale so not sure if they are now discontinued. Evans have some but they are £80 per side which is nearly what I paid for the pair.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
They will be a standard, but there is more than one standard.
Are you being deliberately pedantic and unhelpful? All IS mounts have the same standard, all post mounts have the same standard, and all flush mounts have the same standard. All you need to do is identify the mounting system and obtain the appropriate adapter to suit your rotor size and caliper, for that particular mounting system. There, happy now?:okay:

simon.r

Person
Are you being deliberately pedantic and unhelpful? All IS mounts have the same standard, all post mounts have the same standard, and all flush mounts have the same standard. All you need to do is identify the mounting system and obtain the appropriate adapter to suit your rotor size and caliper, for that particular mounting system. There, happy now?:okay:

No, not trying to be unhelpful at all - quite the opposite. A couple of people on this thread have asked about "standards". Your comment that "the hole centres in the frame are an industry standard" is right of course, but could be read as there being only one standard. My comment about there being more than one standard, whilst possibly being pedantic, was intended to help the OP and anyone else reading this thread avoid a costly mistake by buying calipers without considering what / if adaptors are required.

I think your last post clarifies the situation nicely:okay:

Top Bottom