Hydraulic Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodland81

Regular
Hi,

I got on my bike today and found my breaks to be pretty much nearly useless.

A couple of days before, when I was out I had a constant squeek, not from braking. However i took my bike for its free 6week service a couple weeks ago and mentioned about squeeking brakes I had developed.

I oiled up my chain and my gears and also put some over the brakes, I guess I didnt think it through :sad:

On the way home today, the brakes were working a little better just taking forever to slow me down and then when getting close to stopping, squeeking hurrendously. I rubbed down the surface that the pads grab, to try and remove any grease.

Did a quick google my problems are down to me getting oil on the brake pads?

I'd never done it before, so when got home had a little go at taking the wheel and the brake off and rubbing clean in between the pads ( didnt know how to get the pads out, until checked online so not attempted that bit yet)

Will by brake pads be pretty much ruined by the oil. Been having a look, is there a recommended degreaser that do the trick?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Brake disk can be cleaned with brake and clutch cleaning spray - you should be able to pick up a can for a few quid from any motor factor (or spend more at hellfrauds).

I suspect the disk pads are scuppered if you've soaked them in oil. You can try sanding down or baking in the oven but tbh I'd chalk it up to experience and buy some new pads.

In future don't let anything other than clean water anywhere near pads and disks.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Oiling a surface that relies on friction isn't a great idea. Dump the pads, give the discs a proper clean with brake cleaner, if not isopropyl alcohol and don't do it again

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No no no. Reign is exactly what they should NOT have. But my all means keep them on a rein and out of harm's way.
:okay:

Top Bottom