hydraulic disc brake woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my shimano 105 disc brake levers have a lot of travel in them. replacing the pads is going to involve drilling out the pad retaining pin so i’m putting off changing them until they really need it.

could i get a reduction in lever travel by bleeding the brakes?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Are the pads worn out, what thickness of pad is left? If pads are near enough the metal backing plates, time for replacement, that’s your best option. Then after replacing pads, see how the brakes feel before deciding if bleed necessary.

I hate to say this bit, but bleeding brakes involves removing pads, and using a bleed block, to prevent contamination. If you went down this route you’ll need to get the pins out anyway. I find split pins work just as well and don’t seize.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
my shimano 105 disc brake levers have a lot of travel in them. replacing the pads is going to involve drilling out the pad retaining pin so i’m putting off changing them until they really need it.

could i get a reduction in lever travel by bleeding the brakes?
If you pump the levers do they feel better?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Something wrong here. Brake lever 'feel' should not change as the pads wear. Bite point is designed to remain consistent throughout pad life as the pistons move out to take up the pad wear.
I've run brakes down to the metal and the only change has been the horrible noise when metal started grinding on metal!
I suspect your brakes do not have sufficient fluid to cope with the increased caliper volume as the pads wear and a small amount of air has got into the system. A fluid top-up should give a short term fix if this is the case, although there is no substitute for having pads in a serviceable condition!

Top Bottom