Hydraulic disc brakes - no pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ripple

Veteran
Will try to describe the problem as detailed as I can.

It's a hybrid bike and it's got hydraulic disc brakes Tektro HD - M 285. No problems for about 3000 miles.

Took the bike for a short ride today and after a mile front brake lever lost it's resistance. Front wheel also seemed to be blocked. I stopped and took the front wheel out to check the problem. One of brake pads immediately fell off it's place and that pad was very rusty and falling into pieces. Right ok I kept the bike outside the house so I think the has weather done it's nasty job.

I also noticed that one side of the brake (piston?) is in full "stop" position and that's why the wheel is blocked. Other side is ok. So I used a knife to push the piston (not sure if it's called piston...) back to release the wheel. I couldn't push it back fully in it's place though.

Lever is useless too (see the picture). It lost all it's power.

My question is - is it something to do with the pressure in the system? I know I will need to replace brake pads but it looks like they've got nothing to do with the problem.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you put a flat bladed screwdriver, or a wide flat cold chisel, push both pistons back & then once back block the pistons so they can't move, then try your lever agin.

Top Bottom