Hydraulic Disc Breaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dale 1956

I have an older Surly Disc Trucker it's the 2018 model I want to install hydraulic disc breaks on it but with 180 rotors I have been told and have read some where you can only use 160mm rotor I see no reason why I can't install 180mm or larger on my Surly Disc Trucker 2018 model it has the Q.R, wheels I have the Surly Nice Front rack and the Surly rack on the rear.Can anyone tell me if this can be done and is it safe?

si_c

Guru
It looks to be post mount on the forks, so you should probably be able to get away with 180mm rotors with the right adapter. In reality though with hydraulic brakes you don't need that big a rotor - 160mm is more than enough.

Keep in mind though you'll need to replace your brake levers in addition to the calipers and that starts to get a bit expensive.

Any particular reason you want to make the change to hydraulics?

Reactions: C R

si_c

Guru
Ah that information is quite nice, thanks @Jody. It's IS mount disk brakes which means you will need adapters, lots of adapters, to move to hydraulics. You won't be able to use road calipers (limited to 160mm anyway) so you'll need to use MTB calipers, most hydraulic MTB calipers are Post-Mount so an adapter will be required.

TRP do make a post mount caliper - the Hylex which with the matching lever would potentially work, but you'll need to find out the specific adapters you will need and the caliper sizes. It may be worth contacting Surly for support on identifying what is needed.

OP
OP
Dale 1956

Dale 1956

It looks to be post mount on the forks, so you should probably be able to get away with 180mm rotors with the right adapter. In reality though with hydraulic brakes you don't need that big a rotor - 160mm is more than enough.

Keep in mind though you'll need to replace your brake levers in addition to the calipers and that starts to get a bit expensive.

Every thing will be new on this setup I am tired of the BB7 cable breaks.I'm getting ready to go on a long trip with a heavy surly disc trucker with four panniers and pulling a BoB Trailer as well.I did this back in 2009 with my Long Haul Trucker with rim breaks I burn up a lot of pads too. lol Thanks for the info you gave me.

OP
OP
Dale 1956

Dale 1956

I can say bicycle parts now days cost way to much. Really I just want hydraulics this time around now that I have had a look I'm still going to go with hydraulics but with 160mm front and rear this will save me a little money I want have to buy mounts for the new hydraulics I have the mounts for 160mm on my disc trucker I'm hope this works out for me

Attachments

• IMG_20211020_160043966.jpg
    IMG_20211020_160043966.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211020_160101995.jpg
    IMG_20211020_160101995.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 15

CXRAndy

Guru
Hydraulic disc brake kits have shot up in price in the last couple of years. I got a Shimano kit with di2 for £178, now thats more like £400+ if you can actually find a kit

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dale 1956

Dale 1956

I just want a change.

Top Bottom