Hydraulic disc pad replacement.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've not changed a set of pads before.

Old ones were Tektro, new ones shimano.

Front ones, no problem.

Rear ones, found it almost impossible to get the cylinders far enough apart to get the gap between the pads wide enough to accept the disc rotor. Eventually, using a tyre lever to prise them, just managed it. Now the brake just ever so slightly drags. It's not the alignment, they're just very slightly rubbing.

I *think* this means the new pads are just a smidge thicker than the old ones, and a small amount of fluid needs bleeding.

But I'm a bit loth to risk ending up with a puddle of fluid and no brakes, so tempted just to let them wear in which will probably take no time.

Is my diagnosis right?

Advice on way forward?

Pics of caliper & lever:

Attachments

• 20210327_111722.jpg
    20210327_111722.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210327_111732.jpg
    20210327_111732.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 14

Kajjal

Guru
Sounds right, my mountain bike had this on the front brake after new pads were fitted. I got the wife to unscrew the bleed port on the brake lever, with the front wheel removed I gently prised the new pads apart and the leader of the household mopped up the small amount of brake that came out and while pads kept prised apart tightened the bleed port back up. All fine after that, just make sure no air gets in by rushing it.

Good luck :okay:

Top Bottom