Hydro brakes and when to replace the pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spud1969

Regular
Hi
I'm sure this has been asked 100s of times before so please forgive me, but I just bought a new bike with Tektro hydro brakes and it's my first experience of hydro brakes.
This may sound like a stupid question, but I just wondered what to look out for to know when the brake pads need replacing or is it just when they start to be less effective?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hi
I'm sure this has been asked 100s of times before so please forgive me, but I just bought a new bike with Tektro hydro brakes and it's my first experience of hydro brakes.
This may sound like a stupid question, but I just wondered what to look out for to know when the brake pads need replacing or is it just when they start to be less effective?
They should be replaced when there is less than 1mm or so of pad material on the metal backing plate. You can see if you look into the caliper, but you might need to clean away some of the built up crud; and you need to know what you're looking for. Once you hear metal to metal when braking, that's the backing plate rubbing against the disc rotor and you're in trouble. You will then need to replace the rotor as well as the pads as it will be scored. RoadCC probably explains it better than me!

Last edited:

lpretro1

It's difficult to just measure the pad material. Rule of thumb we use is 3mm including the backplate - easier to measure with calipers

Levo-Lon

Guru
Dont forget to clean the caliper pistons thoroughly before you push the pistons back into the caliper when you fit the new pads.

1mm here too or as a idiot guide ,the pad springs are touching the disc =worn out pad material

Last edited:
Top Bottom