Hydrolic brake help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
How do you Adjust your pads if they are rubbing the disc, is there some sort of tendon bolt which controls the pistons which push the pads? Any help would be welcomed, my ride is a giant terrago.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Damn predicted text that should say tension!

Hydraulic pads should automatically adjust...but the position of the caliper on the disk will not.
Loosen the bolts holding the caliper to the frame, rotate the wheel and grip the brake hard.
Tighten bolts again and then release the brake.

That normally does the trick and only takes a minute or two.

rajthakur090

And hydraulic brakes lol I'm tired!

Well I have a "Cannondale Badboy - 2010"...Its one of the Hybrid bikes...soo far I've not faced any problems regarding the hydraulic brakes...I almost travel 20 miles to office....Where I need to even ride on rough surfaces....Apart from Cannondale Badboy you can check out some more bikes which are hydraulic as well as mechanical break based bikes...Just have a look at this Fanpage "trackandtrail" on Facebook...!

spence

Über Member
The pads should move away from the disks automatically as the pressure is released from the piston as you release the lever, helped by a small spring (really more to stop them rattling). It’s the same principle as your car, you don’t adjust them.

There are however a myriad number of reasons why they may rub or make noises. Poor calliper adjustment, sticking pistons, warped disks, worn pads, dirt in-between the pads and disk, the aforementioned spring etc. The gaps involved between being quite and noisy are very small.

Check any or all the above.

But don’t worry too much about it, if they are not binding and still functioning then you should be having too much fun to notice.

battered

Guru
Is it wise to spray the pistons with wd40 to ease them up?

NO!

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
My rear brake giant mph I think it is seems not to be working right I'm having to yank the brake lever really hard to stop compared to the front, if I don't the disc slips between the pads and makes a right creaking sound, I'm thinking maybe the fluid needs topping up, is this possible, will I have to bleed the brakes, or can I unscrew the bolts to the fluid reservoir and add more or will that put air into the brake line? Any help appreciated!

DavieB

MIA
If the fluid needed topping up, you would have air in the system which would give you a spongy soft lever, maybe the piston is seized. If you are capable take the caliper off and see if the piston is tight, but obviously you would have to bleed the system up after that, if you dont know what you are doing leave it alone, take it to a shop. Unless you are pretty handy you may be able to reassemble it with a how to book.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
It doesn't seem to be stuck, I can't see any fluid leaking either when pressing the brake lever, I think I might get a bleeding kit and try that, thanks for your thoughts.

If the fluid reservoir is low, just tilt it level and add some fluid while holding the lever in.
If there is air in the system then this will still leave you with spongy brakes therefore still needing a proper bleed, but if you are just low on fluid, then it may improve the brakes for cheap.

I'd try cheap before spending on a bleed kit.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I didn't realise you could do this, I haven't opened the fluid reservoir as I was worried air would get in it, and make the brakes worse, I've bought a bleed kit as I had the bike second hand and it came with no documentation, I soon realised that you need syringes and what not to bleed the brakes, is it possible to top up without this then? Cheers

Top Bottom