Hydrolic brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just bought a secondhand aggressor xc1
But it seems front brake is sticking. As per Google I took pads out went to press pistons in but only one is sticking out a bit and won’t budge the other seems flush.
If I squeeze brake lever mother seems to move but if I reassemble the brakes do lock the wheel just not release far enough. Not sure what to do. Are the cheap and easy to buy new piston and fit or is there something I can try
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 26

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Arrrrgh - Avid Juicies

I have the latter "Elixir" on my Inbred. They can be a pain to center.

The last time this happened to me, I had to release (just a little) fluid from the caliper, then try again

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Thank you is this done by unscrewing some tiny little screw on the lever ?

There is one on the lever and one on the caliper. those rusty looking T10 torx screws.

Remember this is DOT fluid, so be careful not to get in on you or the bike, and wipe the lever/caliper afterwards

I had a rag underneath to catch any, and cleaned with water afterwards

have a look at the vid on how to fully blead them. It may help

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZkEIrCBJ0

iluvmybike

Über Member
That make/model of brake is notorious for sticking pistons and parts for Avids are really expensive. Personally I'd ditch them for a different brand. You can get Shimano ones for not too much money - they use mineral oil too which lasts longer and is kind to paintwork too

OP
OP
captainhastings
Ok thanks for all the great info are these things like generic . I can I walk into Halfords or are loads different fittings to worry about. One thing I notice is the pads don’t pull straight out because there’s some thing in way so you have to go at angle which is poor. Thanks for bleeding video I will check that out

Cycleops

Legendary Member
From memory there's flat mount, ISO and post mount I think.
Yours look like post mount.

Dolorous Edd

Can't help but notice that there is a large potential braking surface running all the way around the wheel, just below the tyre. Maybe that could be used for a more reliable technical solution?

Drago

Legendary Member
Where are all the people telling us hydros are miraculous and don't go wrong, blah blah blah? Hydros are great until they do go wrong and when they do we suddenly get wistful about the simplicity of cables.

Anyway, thats a thought for elsewhere. Before lashing out on new brakes it's worth trying to soak them in brake cleaner and seeing whether that will free them up. A soak, and a subsequent cleanup with a toothbrush (use someone elses) has revived them for me over the years, only a Hooe M4 set defied this treatment.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't help but notice that there is a large potential braking surface running all the way around the wheel, just below the tyre. Maybe that could be used for a more reliable technical solution?
Yeahbut they are probably disc rim specific and there might not be any mounts for Vs.

OP
OP
captainhastings
I think ! I may have sorted it. Undid bleed nipple on piston gave it some welly with screw driver and even though it didn’t seem to move. The wheel spins free and after a bit of pumping with lever I know have a break. So far ! Oh and that stuff stings

Top Bottom