Hypochondriac's Corner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
MY lower back is killing me for the second year in a row. I don't think it's unrelated to having dodgy knees and the fact I carry the Bromton around various train stations every day (or indeed lifting my four year old in the middle of the night to answer a call of nature). I hope it doesn't drag on for as long as last year - I only get it in winter as well. Straight back lifting for the next month and nothing too strenuous then. That'll please the wife. :smile:

Anyone else with irritating mild medical complaints that just reoccur when you least need them?

There was an article about pine bark - can't remember the 'latin' for the supplement... in this weeks Cycling Weakly (:smile:) - it may be of interest Chris. Sounded 'promising' for aches and pains anyway.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
MY lower back is killing me for the second year in a row. I don't think it's unrelated to having dodgy knees and the fact I carry the Bromton around various train stations every day (or indeed lifting my four year old in the middle of the night to answer a call of nature). I hope it doesn't drag on for as long as last year - I only get it in winter as well. Straight back lifting for the next month and nothing too strenuous then. That'll please the wife. :smile:

Anyone else with irritating mild medical complaints that just reoccur when you least need them?

Well, funny you should say that...

I've got a cold a the moment. No big deal, but I've been through the 'niggly' throat, the 'downright sore' throat, the 'stuffy, headachey' sinuses and the 'completely bunged up' nose. What I've noticed more this time (although I have had it before now I think about it) is that when I cough, I get a pain in my shoulders. Not the dull muscular ache all over you often get with a cold (I've had that too) but a very specific pain in my shoulders. Right on the 'corner' where the shoulder turns down into the arm, but under the surface, and feels a bit like someone is applying pressure to a specific point with a blunt point (like a knitting needle). In both shoulders, symmetrically. Comes on quite sharply when I cough, and then fades gradually, until I cough again.

Has ANYONE had anything like this? I told my Mum about it on the phone yesterday, thinking she'd say "Oh, I get that", and she seemed quite alarmed and said she'd never heard anything like it!

I wondered if there is a nerve in the shoulders that is also connected to the lungs or something - like how in acupuncture or reflexology, you put pressure on a place that is seemingly unconnected to the ailment...

Or am I just a freak?

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Well if you are Arch, you're a freak with an innate ability for the descriptive. I don't know about pressure points but I always suffer with the weak points in my body when experiencing unrelated illnesses (like colds and flu), especially those parts of the body injured during my (now seemingly foolish) rugby playing youth. My lower back took a knock in a game and hasn't been as strong since.

I think you're going through the 'everything hurts, I've coughed and coughed and coughed and I've had enough' part of the cough/cold which means you're at the peak of the pain but over the worst.

Don't drop down dead and make me look silly now.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
Well if you are Arch, you're a freak with an innate ability for the descriptive. I don't know about pressure points but I always suffer with the weak points in my body when experiencing unrelated illnesses (like colds and flu), especially those parts of the body injured during my (now seemingly foolish) rugby playing youth. My lower back took a knock in a game and hasn't been as strong since.

I think you're going through the 'everything hurts, I've coughed and coughed and coughed and I've had enough' part of the cough/cold which means you're at the peak of the pain but over the worst.

Don't drop down dead and make me look silly now.

I'll try... And I hope your back feels better soon...

barq

Arch said:
when I cough, I get a pain in my shoulders. Not the dull muscular ache all over you often get with a cold (I've had that too) but a very specific pain in my shoulders. Right on the 'corner' where the shoulder turns down into the arm, but under the surface, and feels a bit like someone is applying pressure to a specific point with a blunt point (like a knitting needle). In both shoulders, symmetrically. Comes on quite sharply when I cough, and then fades gradually, until I cough again.

You can get referred pain a bit like you describe. I recently ended up with costochondritis after a bad cough/cold and that radiated out quite oddly from my sternum.

abchandler

Arch said:
feels a bit like someone is applying pressure to a specific point with a blunt point (like a knitting needle)

Just make sure you haven't mislaid a couple of knitting needles recently, won't you

Arch

Married to Night Train
abchandler said:
Just make sure you haven't mislaid a couple of knitting needles recently, won't you

You think I might have left them in the sweater? Good idea, I'll check, it is a home knitted one...:smile:

Barq, maybe that's it. It's just odd because I don't feel as is the coughing is in any way straining my shoulders or anything like that, and the pain isn't even a strained muscle sort of pain....

Top Bottom