Hyundai I20 questions....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
Morning CCer's, since the Ms Xtrail decided to show it's wears to all and sundry(bonnet safety catch failed on the M62 at 70 resulting in the front end being a mess and scaring the bejesus out of her(baby in the car too)) and is now a write off. We're in the hunt for a new runabout, the I20 has caught her eye and particularly a diesel model.
Now I've had issues with a Pug DPF in the past and know the problems a wet one can bring.
Is the Hyundai DPF similar or is it nothing to worry about, should I steer her towards the 1.2 petrol?
For info she drives very conservatively, her work commute(for those local) is Rochdale to Oldham via M602....ie a mile of A road then 3 of motorway then another mile of A road.
I doubt it will get a blast every week....could this be a problem(it wasn't for the xtrail(none DPF)?
Thanks all

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No expert on the diesel issue, but for 5 miles each way it does sound like a petrol is better, diesel fare better with a regular longer run.. I was helping the OH's son look at used cars and he ended up with an 1.2 petrol i20 as a first car, as it was cheap to buy, run and insure and was decently put together vs others he looked at. Its a decent motor for the money.

Jameshow

Veteran
Yeap as a transit van owner which I use locally the dpf has been a pain!!

Unless your regularly doing an hour long commute to clean it out the the petrol is the way to go.

VW Polo are my favoured small car but expensive.

D

Deleted member 26715

Also currently 20p litre more expensive so any fuel savings don't equate to financial savings, wife's cousin has a 1.2 (I think) very happy with it.

Jody

Stubborn git
My partners mum switched from a 1.2 i10 to a 1.2 i20 and regretted it. She is a very steady driver but complains that the engine is gutless for the chassis weight.

5 mile journey is too low for a diesel. It'll barely reach operating temperature in that time.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Eggs in fridges, potatoes in fridges? There are some right wrong-uns on here. Please god don't tell me you also keep tomatoes in there?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Don't not under any circumstance keep eggs in the boot of a Hyundai.

I'll concede there may be a more appropriate thread for this comment:laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Well after many miles visiting various bullshit artists who’s adverts are based upon fantasy we have ended up with a Nissan Note 1.4 petrol. FSH, slightly pricier than we wanted to pay but the car is low mileage and clean as a whistle. Hopefully this should tide her over for quite a while barring mishaps.
Bottom line Ms is a happy bunny, I knew they were versatile but I’m surprised at the amount of cubby holes and boot size!

Jameshow

Veteran
Well after many miles visiting various bullshit artists who’s adverts are based upon fantasy we have ended up with a Nissan Note 1.4 petrol. FSH, slightly pricier than we wanted to pay but the car is low mileage and clean as a whistle. Hopefully this should tide her over for quite a while barring mishaps.
Bottom line Ms is a happy bunny, I knew they were versatile but I’m surprised at the amount of cubby holes and boot size!

Big question is how does it do taking a bike.

Will a 700c bike without front wheel fit in ok?!

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Big question is how does it do taking a bike.

Will a 700c bike without front wheel fit in ok?!

With the back seats down, yes no problem(we have a bike carrier if needed anyway)😝
I have spare roof bars so just need the footpack for the car unless a marketplace item pops up.

Top Bottom