I’ve bought a mountain bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That is a fantastic colour @Julia9054 :sun::sun::sun:

Personally I would stick with the spds that you are familiar with, you don't strike me as a person with poor coordination so you should be just fine clipped in. I ride clipped in on the highest tension and never have trouble getting my feet out if needed.

Aggressive pinned flats can inflict terrible wounds, just ask @mythste for pictures if his recent scratches....

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
That is a fantastic colour @Julia9054 :sun::sun::sun:

Personally I would stick with the spds that you are familiar with, you don't strike me as a person with poor coordination so you should be just fine clipped in. I ride clipped in on the highest tension and never have trouble getting my feet out if needed.

Aggressive pinned flats can inflict terrible wounds, just ask @mythste for pictures if his recent scratches....
Its very yellow, isn't it!
I took it out for a test ride this aft with the friend I bought it from. He put some flats on for me to try as I didn't have any bike shoes with me. I am much more used to SPDs and hard to remember you are not clipped in!
I only went round for a cup of tea and a bit of a walk!

Gunk

Guru
I’ve been riding mountain bikes since the early 1990’s and still ride a well used 2007 S Works Epic 26er. Personally I would fit flat platform pedals, I’ve used DMR V8’s for years and they’re brilliant.

I know that the fashion is now for gravel and cyclocross bikes but you still can’t beat a good full suspension MTB.

0151A2E7-B44F-46F7-80F5-B5FA8679E359.jpeg

I’ve been riding mountain bikes since the early 1990’s and still ride a well used 2007 S Works Epic 26er. Personally I would fit flat platform pedals, I’ve used DMR V8’s for years and they’re brilliant.

I know that the fashion is now for gravel and cyclocross bikes but you still can’t beat a good full suspension MTB.

View attachment 584018
Thats a sweet bike!

Also I need pedals. I’m guessing most mountain bikers use flat pedals rather than clipping in as I am used to. What pedals do people recommend?

Most mountain bikers I know and myself use clips and prefer it that way. I've tried flats and I just don't get on with them, I'm old, been riding clips for decades and I don't think I can adapt to a new pedal stroke.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I tried flat, pinned pedals and hated them! I am used to being able to move my feet about slightly using the float offered by my SPDs. The pins just fixed my feet in place so I was having to lift them off the pedals to move them to a new position. Oops, not quite right - lift again, turn foot again. Nope, too far the other way - aaaaaaaaaaaaargh! :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How to rip your shins/calves to bits in one easy crash

Exactly - I use SPD's - the big bike has XT Trail SPD's - bit wider platform - I don't like the idea of the pins on flats and as I've always ridden clipped in, I am not going back. You do have to think a bit more being clipped in, but with the trail pedals I can unclip if needed - I don't bother now.

Best advice - look after the bike - the mud and crap is hard on bikes, so keep it clean and it will work well. Practice makes perfect on MTB's - you'll scare your pants off at first with rocky descents.

Best bits for my bike were 1, A dropper seat post and 2, Really good tyres - super grippy. As an ex-roadie I lack super handling skills on an MTB, so the bike makes up for it. The dropper post is the best - get's the saddle out of the way on steep stuff. Good tyres stop weird handling - I had good tyres (Schwalbe Nobby Nics) but they would slide out for no reason - it was the tread pattern. Replaced with much better ones (Maxxis Minion DHF and DHR2 (front rear specific tread) - so much more confident with them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Most mountain bikers I know and myself use clips and prefer it that way. I've tried flats and I just don't get on with them, I'm old, been riding clips for decades and I don't think I can adapt to a new pedal stroke.
If you mean the old-fashioned clips... A friend of mine had been using them for 40 years but decided to give SPDs a try. She was convinced within a couple of rides and loves them now.

fossyant

Most MTB riders do use flats TBH. It's those of us that are older and have been road riders that use clips. My local MTB group, I'm the only clip user. The folk I ride with on here - all SPD, bar one. I'm not having a leg shredder on the bike - seen some nasty injuries. You'll get a big bruise from an SPD pedal hitting your shin, but it won't rip a hole in your calf.

Lot's of it's down to being able to 'dab' your foot and jumps and stuff, but fit a dropper post, and you'll get more confident being clipped in on steep downhills - I used to unclip at first - practice etc, no unclips, just go for the descent.

fossyant

Ah - as in clipless! :wacko:

I think it is a bit ambiguous talking about SPDs etc. being 'clipless' because obviously you do clip into them. But clipless as in 'not requiring toeclips'.

"Clipped in" is "clipless" - I know so confusing to most people. MTB it's Clipped or Flats. I can see the benefits of flats at times, but any pedal other then cheap Welgo ones, come with a nasty set of leg shredding pins - yes they grip the shoe, but they take chunks out of your leg.

As the OP is used to SPD, I'd stick with them. You'll poop it a bit at first on rocky descent's being clipped in, but practice.... When things go wrong you'll unclip,

fossyant

MrsF's £2k ful sus XC bike is fitted with cheap Welgo flat pedals, with 'knobbles' rather than sharp 'pins'. The bike was bought 'used' from on here from a good member - it's way above what she will ever use it for, but it's her size and will last a lifetime.

Top Bottom