I am a bad person for laughing at this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
I recall walking past a pub near Calver in the Peak District many moons ago. It was a fine summer's day, not unlike yesterday...

Anyhow, there was a 'roar' of a Reliant Robin as it hurtled past us into the pub car park - I think the driver had spotted the last free parking space. In his exuberance and excitement to 'bag' it, his speed was in excess of what physics would allow in order for the Reliant to remain three wheels down as it were.

The most impressive thing was that he did indeed end up in the last parking space, but his arrival was marred by the fact he had to climb out of the now-skyward facing passenger door to exit his mighty steed...

perplexed

Guru
Another Reliant memory is that of a member of staff at my last school having one (yellow, like an old BT van).

He frequently became annoyed when he kept trying to find his car in the car park at the end of the day - it'd often migrated to elsewhere from whence he'd left it. (They didn't weigh that much, which begs the question 'how many teenage boys does it take to lift a Reliant Robin?')

An auntie had a Scimitar, which was pretty cool...

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
That reminds me of a technical teacher with a Reliant Kitten at my school. He made his own exhaust out of tin cans, proudly demonstrating to his classes the benefits of frugality, ingenuity and technical skills. Cue much laughter when the whole thing fell off on the speed bump at the school gates.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
[QUOTE 5235987, member: 9609"]you were able to drive round the roundabouts with one of the back wheels up in the air ?

I think you have to do something to the diff to get them to go over so easily and keep going. Does any one know how the diff is altered ?[/QUOTE]

Remove the diff cover and weld the planet gears to the crownwheel. then you have a poor mans limited slip diff. Well no-slip diff actually.
A common mod back in the day for grasstrack car racing.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
[QUOTE 5236911, member: 9609"]would that make the three wheeler flip over easier though? lock the diff and it may just go in a straight line.
May be they locked it then removed a drive shaft then remembered to flip it onto the side with the driven wheel[/QUOTE]
Yes, you're right. If the diff is locked, the vehicle will resist any deviation from straight ahead. However if the steering is snatched one way the inside rear wheel will be unweighted and lose traction, enabling the vehicle to turn. This is how karts are turned, although the flexible front of the chassis facilitates the inside rear wheel to lift.

The Top Gear were Clarkson kept rolling one had the diff messed with so it was more inclined to dot it apparently.

And not to forget the SS1. Not sure why you would end up with such a boxy look when using grp to mould the bodywork though. The turbocharged Nissan engined version was supposedly quite quick for the time
280px-1994_Reliant_Scimitar_Sabre_1.8i_Turbo.jpg

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Reliant also built the RS200 group B car for ford

When i was a mischievous youth, the grumpy old guy who lived on the corner of my street would regularly tell us kids off for playing football, or making too much noise, this continued growing up, until a mutual hatred grew strong. Fast forward a few years until we are old enough to drink... 6/7 of us lived in the street, and would regularly return from the pub, thinking it hilarious to pick up his little Reliant Robin, and put it on his next door neighbours driveway in the early hours...the regularly confused look on his face of a morning was a highlight of my youth!!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We used to call them dog killers - if the front wheel doesn't get the dog, one of the rear two will.

Top Bottom