I am a cycling GOD! - Check out my top speed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
I have a Garmin Edge 305, and when I ride under underpasses/bridges the unit sometimes calculates speeds of up to 70mph. But if I look at the data I can see why it happens.

The GPS position becomes inaccurate and so the unit thinks i have travelled much further in one second, than I actually had. If I delete the GPS points that are inaccurate, the maximum speed returns to normal (but slightly more averaged)

It would be interesting to see that data :evil:. I assume you didnt upload it to http://connect.garmin.com

BearPear

Veteran
My brother-in-law was coming down from the cow & calf in Ilkley (if anyone knows it) and he saw 39mph on his computer and so he............closed his eyes!! When he checked the trip meter after his ride the max speed was 41.

He did slow down before the cattle grids!

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
BearPear said:
My brother-in-law was coming down from the cow & calf in Ilkley (if anyone knows it) and he saw 39mph on his computer and so he............closed his eyes!! When he checked the trip meter after his ride the max speed was 41.

He did slow down before the cattle grids!

I have managed 50mph before, without a glitch. There's a lovely steep road by Goodwood which you can do it on :smile:

colinr

If you're planning to hit 65 on Saturday you might want to take a picnic for while you're waiting for me to catch up :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
thomas said:
I have managed 50mph before, without a glitch. There's a lovely steep road by Goodwood which you can do it on ;)
going down the other side of Ditchling beacon i have done 52mph, that was CRAZY!

mike e

Bongman said:
I have a Garmin Edge 305, and when I ride under underpasses/bridges the unit sometimes calculates speeds of up to 70mph. But if I look at the data I can see why it happens.

The GPS position becomes inaccurate and so the unit thinks i have travelled much further in one second, than I actually had. If I delete the GPS points that are inaccurate, the maximum speed returns to normal (but slightly more averaged)

It would be interesting to see that data :hello:. I assume you didnt upload it to http://connect.garmin.com

Sorry, data now deleted, it was a couple of years back and the computer has had a few "crashes" since then...;)

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
gaz said:
going down the other side of Ditchling beacon i have done 52mph, that was CRAZY!

I'm probably going to have to wait until next summer, but when the next club ride to go down towards Goodwood is on I'm going to take my helmet camera and film the 50mph decent ;).

I overtook a tractor down it last time :hello:

Top Bottom