I am a total div 2/n: "The Squeak"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Fantastic ride after work yesterday, but the new bike showing first sign of use: A very quiet, very high pitched highly intermittent squeak.

Hmmm, thinks I, it's high time I lubed it, 300 miles ridden now and even in the dry that's probably pushing it.

I press on, and ascending the Killer Mile empties my mind of all such fripperies. Along the summit ridge, back it comes and I pause to take in the view, and spin the wheels. No squeaking.

Another couple of climbs later my legs aren't so much squeaking as howling in protest, but the bike still is, scarcely audible and very intermittently. "Must be jockey wheels" I think. "Don't forget to lube".

Approaching home it ceases to be intermittent, now every pedal stroke. Maybe the saddle? Out of the saddle it disappears. Gotcha! "I'll tighten the rails when I get back" I think.

Then, suddenly, a terrible sense of deja vu: I'd forgotten once spending days on tour trying to find a squeak only to realise it was my shoe rubbing the chainstay. And sure enough, not the chainstay, but the centre of the crank sticks out just far enough to rub my left shoe.

Squeak identified. Now, mustn't forget that lube.

Twilkes

Guru
On a tour I once thought the cartlidge in my right knee was cracking each time I pedalled - I was mildly worried for a couple of days until I realised it was the end of my laces slapping against my shoe on the downstroke.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fantastic ride after work yesterday, but the new bike showing first sign of use: A very quiet, very high pitched highly intermittent squeak.

Hmmm, thinks I, it's high time I lubed it, 300 miles ridden now and even in the dry that's probably pushing it.

I press on, and ascending the Killer Mile empties my mind of all such fripperies. Along the summit ridge, back it comes and I pause to take in the view, and spin the wheels. No squeaking.

Another couple of climbs later my legs aren't so much squeaking as howling in protest, but the bike still is, scarcely audible and very intermittently. "Must be jockey wheels" I think. "Don't forget to lube".

Approaching home it ceases to be intermittent, now every pedal stroke. Maybe the saddle? Out of the saddle it disappears. Gotcha! "I'll tighten the rails when I get back" I think.

Then, suddenly, a terrible sense of deja vu: I'd forgotten once spending days on tour trying to find a squeak only to realise it was my shoe rubbing the chainstay. And sure enough, not the chainstay, but the centre of the crank sticks out just far enough to rub my left shoe.

Squeak identified. Now, mustn't forget that lube.

Adjust your float slightly on the cleat otherwise you'll rub off the anodising on the crank - pet hate of mine.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My most annoying one was when I thought I had a failed wheel bearing, as I was getting a rumbling sound. Took the wheel off, took the cone bearings off, and indeed the running surface was pitted. Replaced with new bearings, got back on the bike again, and got the same rumbling sound.

Later worked out that it was the tail of the derailleur cable for the front chainring which was rubbing against the tyre. Which probably explained why it was more prominant when I was on the larger chainring!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Adjust your float slightly on the cleat otherwise you'll rub off the anodising on the crank - pet hate of mine.
Oh, come on guys - what kind of div would really make a mistake like that! I find it hard to believe that anyone could be that dumb... :whistle:

:blush:

Top Bottom