I am getting better 😀

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have been asked how I am getting on since my accident in September. To recap. I was riding to work on a cyclepath at 5.20am, when a drunk moped rider ran head on it me 40kph. I was travelling at 20kph. It was hell of a bang. I came out of it with a broken right leg, dislocated thumb which needed wiring together, damaged nerves in my face, various cuts to my face and legs. Impacted cartilage to the joint in both hands and knees. It is quite a list when it is written down.

The good news is that the moped rider was insured and has been found guilty at court. I have no idea of his sentence and am not interested.

The insurance company accepted responsibility this week and will sort the bike after Easter. Full carbon bike, a month old.

I am still only working 5 hours a day. The joint in my hands are improving. They are still stiff but not as painful. It is like getting instant arthritus in all your joints. My thumbs are still painful. But you learn how to work around that. My right hip is my problem at the moment and I have physio and acupuncture every week. There is muscle damage and it is proving hard to fix.

I am not cycling yet, but have a Jack Russell on loan to get me out on short walks. I am going to get my scooter out of the loft to see if that helps.

My work has been excellent and will keep me on working short hours, until I retire in 2 years, if that is what I decide. I have been with them for 17 years.

I am hoping the warmer weather will help me get out and improve. But at 63 you learn it takes longer to repair and that you do not bounce as well.

But I am ok. I miss the bikes but have taken up the Hadrians wall Challenger online and get a couple of kilometers in every day.

I have hired a solicitor to deal with my injuries claim, it would be far too complex for me. I hope to be back on the bike very soon. I still have some ultra rides to do 😁

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have been asked how I am getting on since my accident in September. To recap. I was riding to work on a cyclepath at 5.20am, when a drunk moped rider ran head on it me 40kph. I was travelling at 20kph. It was hell of a bang. I came out of it with a broken right leg, dislocated thumb which needed wiring together, damaged nerves in my face, various cuts to my face and legs. Impacted cartilage to the joint in both hands and knees. It is quite a list when it is written down.

The good news is that the moped rider was insured and has been found guilty at court. I have no idea of his sentence and am not interested.

The insurance company accepted responsibility this week and will sort the bike after Easter. Full carbon bike, a month old.

I am still only working 5 hours a day. The joint in my hands are improving. They are still stiff but not as painful. It is like getting instant arthritus in all your joints. My thumbs are still painful. But you learn how to work around that. My right hip is my problem at the moment and I have physio and acupuncture every week. There is muscle damage and it is proving hard to fix.

I am not cycling yet, but have a Jack Russell on loan to get me out on short walks. I am going to get my scooter out of the loft to see if that helps.

My work has been excellent and will keep me on working short hours, until I retire in 2 years, if that is what I decide. I have been with them for 17 years.

I am hoping the warmer weather will help me get out and improve. But at 63 you learn it takes longer to repair and that you do not bounce as well.

But I am ok. I miss the bikes but have taken up the Hadrians wall Challenger online and get a couple of kilometers in every day.

I have hired a solicitor to deal with my injuries claim, it would be far too complex for me. I hope to be back on the bike very soon. I still have some ultra rides to do 😁

Good to hear that you’re on the mend Steve

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My injuries no where near as traumatic as yours but just be happy to share that it does get better continuously. It might be slow sometimes but the gradual recovery will go on, especially if you are determined and active, as you seem to be.

I'm sure you know you will never have a 100% recovery, there will always be some evidence of what has happened, especially at your age (sorry :whistle:), you may have to learn to live with and accommodate some impairment. Hopefully these things will be minor or not very restrictive.

I have huge respect for your mental outlook and positivity in relation to this incident. I don't think I have once seen you moan or get angry about your situation, just always looking forward and planning your recovery. Hats off to you Sir :notworthy:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Good news you're improving. Keep with the physio - it makes a world of difference.

Hopefully, given the moped rider was insured, you'll at least have some financial security eventually.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
So pleased to hear things are getting there Steve. Keep up the positivity and the exercise. It will get easier. I do hope you can get back to the bike sooner rather than later - but in sensible steps.

Top Bottom