I am getting sick of this now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Im not sure it's the correct thing to do but I would have moved over, the street was plenty wide enough to let the 1 or 2 cars past before you reached the door zone and to the Taxi driver must have looked like you were taking the p*** riding down the centre of the road (prior to the parked cars on the left) and I think thats what he was initially shouting about. If it was busy and youd never get back into the traffic flow then fair enough, but I think there was enough space for all to co-exist without hinderance.

That said I tend to pull over by driveways/farm gates or even into gaps between long stretches of parked cars if I feel im holding up traffic unnecessarily like when its quiet. I figure it leaves drivers thinking that was nice of Mr Cyclist rather than jesus christ these cyclists are nuscience always holding me up and i continue on feeling smug. :smile:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'd agree with the people who have said that there were things that you could have done to prevent this ever being an issue. It is hard to understand the justification for staying in primary all the time when there were so many opportunities to pull in that would not have impeded your speed or affected your safety.
From my own perspective at low speeds like that and on such quiet roads I'd have let him past at pretty much any point. Also I don't think having to avoid the door zone was as much of an issue here as it sometimes can be. Speeds were fairly low and it is often possible to see that cars are unocupied especially when there are so few other distractions.
I don't think we cyclists do ourselves any favours by appearing to be antagonistic especially when there are things we could have done differently. Having said that I really do understand why it is not always easy to judge these things. Cyclists exist a lot on their nerves and because we have to be so alert all the time it can be all to easy to lose perspective. I have done it many, many times myself so I don't want this to sound like an admonishment, just a different perspective. A small mistake for someone in a car can mean scratched paint or broken wing mirror but for cyclists it can be literally life changing or gods forbid ending. This can be at the back of our minds all the time and I think that has a stress all of it's own so it becomes all to easy to misjudge something and let some of that stress out.

Hip Priest

Veteran
That said I tend to pull over by driveways/farm gates or even into gaps between long stretches of parked cars if I feel im holding up traffic unnecessarily like when its quiet.

Me too.

If a vehicle has waited patiently behind for a while due to a lack of overtaking opportunities, I tend to reciprocate and pull into a bus-stop / layby...etc when I get the chance. Polite co-operation between road users is a very good thing.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Me too.

If a vehicle has waited patiently behind for a while due to a lack of overtaking opportunities, I tend to reciprocate and pull into a bus-stop / layby...etc when I get the chance. Polite co-operation between road users is a very good thing.

Indeed. It doesn't tale much for cyclists and car drivers to share the road. A little bit of respect shown for each other goes a long way.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Really? What risk is there then when a stationary car in front of me pulls away from a traffic light and I'm behind it in primary?

Colliding with some idiot who does some sort of dodgy manoeuvre.(we have a video abbout that though not at lights.)

Eh? I think we have crossed lines here,I think I mean something else,like it's better to have traffic in front as opposed to behind but there is still a risk.:thumbsup:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
You should have let the taxi pass you. If I was driving I'd be beeping at you in those circumstances. Maybe not beeping, but id have a good shout. I would say this video does you no favours. If you're in such a strong primary that he can overtake you up the inside with plenty of room, you're the one doing something wrong. You're just doing it to wind drivers up.

Top Bottom