I am getting sick of this now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't think you did anything wrong there. The taxi driver was just a impatient. Having said that, in those circumstances I'd probably have just sat in primary behind the taxi at the lights, instead of using the ASL.

Hawk

Veteran
I knew it would be pointless moving over and I always take primary there just in case someone is parked on both sides. Plus, I would be swerving at the speed I was travelling at to go in and out of primary. All this driver needed was a little patience, he didnt get anywhere quicker in the end did he?

True, but you didn't get anywhere quicker by filtering in front of a single car at the lights at the start. Would've just waited behind tbh

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
True, but you didn't get anywhere quicker by filtering in front of a single car at the lights at the start. Would've just waited behind tbh
It probably would have been better but I prefer to be in front when setting off as I know I have been seen and I can negotiate things (such as parked cars) better as I have a clear view ahead.

Lyrical

fen x
The only reason why I react so agressively is that I know that I get a lot of incidents and cannot for the life of me understand why (well my build and age are obvious). Why do people feel they need to 'educate' me?
Like this driver:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGZfo_t905A&feature=g-upl

Does he really think that beeping me andd telling me to get on a cycle path which I am nowhere near is going to change me? (The comment about cycle paths was a bit crazy as there was an ASL which I entered at the start of the video).

Dude, I've watched a bunch of your videos. You really do ask for a bit of grief.

Sure, cyclists are entitled to lay down the law on the road, but there's no need to antagonise drivers, they're irate enough half the time. It's like hitting a wasp.

As for people saying "get his plates" and such, seriously... all he did was beep his horn, just stick your head down and spin faster.

Hector

That's really bad form. Questions:

Why filter to front of a queue of only one vehicle when you know you can get through the lights in the first phase?

Why hold such a strong position straight after the lights when there is no need at all? You could have easily moved over to the left - there was more then enough room.

Do you think you could have done anything differently?

Would you have done aything differently in hindsight?

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've never been to Rhyl, but I feel like I know it like the back of my hand.

The video won't work on this cr@ppy lap top but fwiw, I can only recall one non incident recently; I forced a driver entering a roundabout to give way to me circulating. For that temerity he wanted to show me a lesson but I was expecting it, so it was no biggie; about 10m in front of me was another cyclist nearing a pinch point, the driver took out his frustration on him too and when passed slammed on his brakes to turn right and couldn't so blocked the road. I used to have more instances but I think with experience I avoid them these days and have also adopted a less continuously aggressive style, just assertive when I need to be.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
That's really bad form. Questions:

Why filter to front of a queue of only one vehicle when you know you can get through the lights in the first phase?
I feel safer being in front of the traffic.
Why hold such a strong position straight after the lights when there is no need at all? You could have easily moved over to the left - there was more then enough room.
As I was accellerating and I knew there would be parked cars up ahead, I thought that going into secondary for that short of a distance would just be pointless.
Do you think you could have done anything differently?
I could have possibly not argued with the driver.
Would you have done aything differently in hindsight?
I think I will just be a bit more careful at that section in the future and not filter past just one car unless I have a good reason to.

Hector

Thanks for the answers Matt.

What I will say is that it is better to have traffic in front of you if possible and not behind you. After all there is no risk with traffic in front of you but behind there potentially is, regarding dangerous overtakes etc.

I think your second answer shows poor judgement. I do think there was room for you to move over. And when you pulled away it look to me like you pulled slightly to the right and then back over to the left and then held your position. This is a good lesson in how poor perception and forward thinking can have an impact on future events. As if you had pulled up behind the car then the above would not have happened.

On the other hand it highlights the dangers of having ''poorly'' designed cycle facilities and the ignorant perception by other road users that you must use them, as you found out lately with the driver telling you do get over onto the path. But just becuase an ASL is there does not mean you have to use it.

I think you should have argued with the driver, after all he was trying to bully you with his vehicle, and he being a professional driver should know better.

Good.

Safe riding.

Top Bottom