I am looking for a basic 3 speed bike for shoping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gcogger

My wife bought an Elephant bike - she loves the bike, but hates riding it :smile:
She replaced it with a lighter (still 15kg!) Electra Loft with 7 gears (Shimano derailleur). The first time she went out on it, she was astonished how much easier it was to ride. That's more a comment on the Elephant bike than the Electra, I think!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
wouldn't entertain the idea of riding on the grass over the road though - suspect that'll soon get old!

I rode through wet long grass to avoid spectators at the Great North Run.

Hard work, even on my ebike, and I went through one bar on the battery meter in about half a mile.

OP
OP
W

windy7777

sadly those in cars are not to bike friendly. i can go months and not see one person on a bike.. but i need to get to store faster and to lose weight. so i thought bike. i dont understand why they are so rude to bikers

I can do all my local hills in a 43 inch gear but it's hard going. There are a few outside Birmingham (The Lickeys) that MTBers have to crawl up in bottom gear. They actually seem to enjoy it!
That climb up the lickeys needs proper low gear. Hate my gps every time it takes me that way

Gearing and braking can depend on your luggage load.
When it comes to selecting shopper bike luggage, how much shopping?
The options include front/rear baskets
Rear pannier bags
Front+rear panniets
Trailers.
You need to figure out your rack requirements to get the right layout of threaded eyelets and any trailer hitch requirements. Clamp on accessories should be avoided.

My current shopping bike uses Shimano 8spd hub which is set up low ratio enough for a full trailer of shopping. The fat 26" wheels are smooth rolling on rougher roads. Disk brakes stop in wet or dry and you need good brakes with heavy loads. The worst part of the bike is the rear rack. It can't take full size rack so I had to get adjustable. They are not as stiff or strong as even cheap well designed non adj types.

Good shopping bikes need not be very expensive but you do need a base level of quality. Local market can determine whst is available. Some fine choices such as Orbea Katu may simply not be available.

A major brand aluminium hybrid bike in 3x8 gearing is usually the most available option for shopping and is quite good enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

windy7777

i think im going to move back to florida no hills! . im so out of shape even with the right gear im struggling. just walked to the store it rained the entire way. are weather people have never been right lol

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My 3-speed Raleigh roadster weighs 40 lbs and has a bottom gear of 50". It's hard work slogging up gradients, and I don't use it for lugging shopping. I've done a few 20+ mile rides on it all the same, just for fun, but you know afterwards you rode those miles. I can do the same route on my 10 speed Raleigh tourer that weighs 26 lbs and has a bottom gear of about 30" and still have enough energy left to go out for another ride later. On the 3-speed, a 20 miler is usually enough cycling for one day!

tyred

Legendary Member
I've toured on 3 speeds carrying luggage and have done several 80 mile plus rides.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I know Northern Georgia well, it really is hilly! Very hilly indeed.

I don't think the supply issues with bikes are quite as desperate in the US as it has been in Europe for these past few months... reading all your requirements, where you're based and your fitness level, I think I'd suggest an ebike equipped with a rack, have a look at something like the Trek Allant.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've toured on 3 speeds carrying luggage and have done several 80 mile plus rides.

Are you still running with the standard gearing used on Sturmey hub bikes by Raleigh etc? Such as 46/18 on 26" wheels? My Raleigh 3-speed runs 46/19 on 26" wheels, and AFAIK this was how it was made. Mine is rod braked with a full chaincase, so heavier than a sports light roadster. I suspect the 19T rear sprocket was a concession to compensate for the extra five pounds or so of weight over a light roadster. It's manageable solo, and in fact the gearing is well suited to flattish terrain in calm weather but I wouldn't like to try it with a couple of heavy panniers and a headwind on top. The excellent visibility of the riding position comes at a cost in aerodynamic drag.
I find drop bars massively less tiring on long rides if there is any wind to speak of, and I hardly ever use the drops. The gain seems to be from the bars being narrower so your arms and shoulders are more tucked in. Another reason I don't like the trend for stupidly wide flat bars on MTB's. You're just turning your body into a human sail.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Are you still running with the standard gearing used on Sturmey hub bikes by Raleigh etc? Such as 46/18 on 26" wheels? My Raleigh 3-speed runs 46/19 on 26" wheels, and AFAIK this was how it was made. Mine is rod braked with a full chaincase, so heavier than a sports light roadster. I suspect the 19T rear sprocket was a concession to compensate for the extra five pounds or so of weight over a light roadster. It's manageable solo, and in fact the gearing is well suited to flattish terrain in calm weather but I wouldn't like to try it with a couple of heavy panniers and a headwind on top. The excellent visibility of the riding position comes at a cost in aerodynamic drag.
I find drop bars massively less tiring on long rides if there is any wind to speak of, and I hardly ever use the drops. The gain seems to be from the bars being narrower so your arms and shoulders are more tucked in. Another reason I don't like the trend for stupidly wide flat bars on MTB's. You're just turning your body into a human sail.

I always swap roadster sprockets for a 22 tooth. It totally transforms a roadster into something you can easily do a decent length ride on. I think 22 is the biggest you can fit into a chaincase.

Sachs made 24 tooth sprockets which fit a Sturmey but they are difficult to find. I have one somewhere but have mislaid it. I'd like to put it on my Record 3 speed which I intend to service and tweak a little and put back to use in the not too distant future.

I rode the south coast of Ireland last spring on a 3 speed Brompton (50/15 gearing on a 16" wheel) with a full luggage split between the front T-Bag and a Carradice longflap saddle bad and didn't find it that difficult to ride at all. I can only remember having to walk three hills. Total distance about 300 miles over 5 days. A Brompton is actually a pretty good touring bike with the added bonus of travelling well on buses.

OP
OP
W

windy7777

i almost got killed on a ebike. it was dark and at the last second i saw a possum. first wheel hits it im thinking im done for.then the rear wheel hit it weird thing it didnt hurt bike and i was ok. but i still feel bad about hiting the possum. btw this bike had 4 inch wide tires when the battery died it was so hard to peddle

clid61

Veteran
id prefer i internal hub . its very hilly here my round trip would be 10 miles. ps if i already made this post im sorry. i thought i did but dont see it any wheres
Where are you based ? As I have a 1992 Muddy Fox MTB , before the became crap rigid forks, mudguards and rear rack, bomb proof , needs a new home

Top Bottom