I am not entirely sure it is hereditary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had gum problems for quite a few years now and lost teeth as a result of it. This is despite all the cleaning, flossing, hygenist visits regular checkups etc. My dentist puts it down to my immune system, perhaps she is right. This she thinks is because of my exercising, cycling but also years of running etc. I am not over weight, 10st and 5`8", I eat healthy meals, don`t drink fizzy drinks or eat sweets. My only indulgence is the odd piece of cake and a few biscuits a day. My grandmother had her teeth replaced by dentures whilst in her twenties. My parents did`nt have the greatest teeth either. I guess that I am not on a winner either. I take longer now cleaning my teeth with less of them than I did with a full set ! Yet you`ll get people who are over weight eating the wrong things who have perfect teeth. Their stars must be in total alignment.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have had gum problems for quite a few years now and lost teeth as a result of it. This is despite all the cleaning, flossing, hygenist visits regular checkups etc. My dentist puts it down to my immune system, perhaps she is right. This she thinks is because of my exercising, cycling but also years of running etc. I am not over weight, 10st and 5`8", I eat healthy meals, don`t drink fizzy drinks or eat sweets. My only indulgence is the odd piece of cake and a few biscuits a day. My grandmother had her teeth replaced by dentures whilst in her twenties. My parents did`nt have the greatest teeth either. I guess that I am not on a winner either. I take longer now cleaning my teeth with less of them than I did with a full set ! Yet you`ll get people who are over weight eating the wrong things who have perfect teeth. Their stars must be in total alignment.
been studies that show people who exercise a lot particularly endurance sports dries the mouth out from breathing a lot which reduces the protective saliva .

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
One of my colleagues has what she calls s**t teeth, takes after her dad apparently and her daughter is going the same way despite brushing every day.
I can't speak for her dad as I have never met the guy however I do know that mother and daughter both consume sugary fizzy drinks, fatty salty foods and both are over weight, can't help thinking maybe they are more likely the reasons for bad teeth than genetics. I could be wrong.
Its my mums fault, or could be the dentist's. My mum lost all her teeth in her fifties, She never had fizzie drinks when she was young, niether did i, i lost most of my teeth in my sixties. All i remember is every check up i went to at school, i ended up having fillings, I think back in the day the dentist would do filling if you needed them or not. My problem was receeding gums.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's what happens when you visit a practitioner who charges by the job - que surprise, you need work doing. Garages, roofers or dentists are all the same in that regard.

Top Bottom