I am not entirely sure it is hereditary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lullabelle

Banana
One of my colleagues has what she calls s**t teeth, takes after her dad apparently and her daughter is going the same way despite brushing every day.
I can't speak for her dad as I have never met the guy however I do know that mother and daughter both consume sugary fizzy drinks, fatty salty foods and both are over weight, can't help thinking maybe they are more likely the reasons for bad teeth than genetics. I could be wrong.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
both consume sugary fizzy drinks, fatty salty foods and both are over weight...

Inherited characteristics? ;)

Levo-Lon

Guru
One of my colleagues has what she calls s**t teeth, takes after her dad apparently and her daughter is going the same way despite brushing every day.
I can't speak for her dad as I have never met the guy however I do know that mother and daughter both consume sugary fizzy drinks, fatty salty foods and both are over weight, can't help thinking maybe they are more likely the reasons for bad teeth than genetics. I could be wrong.

We live in a society that has to have someone to blame.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bad brushing technique, failure to rinse with water after eating, failure to floss, sugary foods and drinks, lots of coffee or tea, they will all give you a build up of rotting food, plaque, bleeding gums, bad breath and a bad bacterial environment of the mouth and gut and consequent bad health.

You can't blame any of that on Nature.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Teeth do appear to vary in robustness, which is likely to be hereditary. I'd like to be able to blame my parents for my having good teeth, but they were of a generation which had replacement dentures as soon as possible, so we'll never know.

midlife

Guru
I could go into homeobox genes and all that but for the vast majority of people how healthy your teeth are reflect how well you look after them..... Good diet and good cleaning and all that.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Seeking an explanation isn't necessarily 'blaming'.

She's blaming genetics... I have thin enamel on my teeth but i look after them.
No dental work as such since i was a teen.

I go to a hygienist every six months, if my teeth were rotten it wouldn't be my dads fault

tyred

Legendary Member
For the first 30 or years of my life before I made a lot of lifestyle changes, I led a ridiculously unhealthy lifestyle - drank lots of fizzy drinks, ate all sorts of sweet rubbish, smoked 20 - 30 a day.

At about 35, I had toothache and booked a dental appointment. The first since I was a teen. I was expecting a telling off and a serious amount of work needing doing and a bill to match but the dentist told me my teeth were in much better condition than average for my age and that I must take good care of myself. Er..:wacko:

Genetics probably do definitely play a part in these things.

Top Bottom