I am overheating right?..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Firstly I'll be sweating like mad & drinking lots of water (about 1l per hour). Also despite my legs feeling fairly fresh & not aching that much, less than I can sustain when it's 10-15C, I'll be unable put real power into the pedals. Finally when this happens my HR will drop off to around the 120-140bpm mark (usually I'll be riding between 150-175bpm), it's as though I'm taking it easy for cool down or warm up riding.

I've always thought this is me overheating but today someone said it's not, which I find odd as it only happens when the ambient temp is much over 20C, usually start to notice it at around 23C with humidity around the 50% marker, the higher the humidity the lower the ambient temp this seems to start at. Oh and being in direct sun seems to make things worse.

lukesdad

My performance improves as temperatures increase, Could be a respiratory problem which I believe can cause overheating. What did the bloke tell you it was then ?

It sounds like you are drinking too much and suffering from salt depletion.

A mild case of hypervolemic hyponatremia, over the last few days your salt has become depleted and because everyone has told you that salt is evil you are avoiding what you need, salt.

I suspect that is the problem, it is quite common in this weather.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I agree with Catrike. Warm weather makes us sweat more which quickens salt depletion.

I've suffered from the same problem on several hour plus rides in the recent warm weather.

Take a packet of salted peanuts or crisps with you. Peanuts are better as the provide a fuel injection too. I've not suffered since.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Happens to me, too, also in hot conditions, no matter how much I try to replace my electrolytes. I was told by a doctor that my internal thermostat is rubbish, I can't regulate my temperature properly and I should stay out of the heat.

Eventually I moved back home to Scotland :smile: .

Sam

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
anecdotally a common problem for those with a celtic heritage. My solution is to add a little salt to one of my drinks, a trick I picked up in India, an/or carry a small bag of pretzels or salted pistachios. I loathe peanuts; and cashews are too expensive!

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
I've always made up electrolyte solutions rather than drink pure water this year. It seems to have worked to some extent by giving better performance from just under 20C air temp to around 23C or so.

lukesdad, my performance improves up to around 20C but once it gets much over 23C it takes a real nose dive. The guy that said I wasn't overheating just said words along the lines of "you're not eating right".

There are some good electrolyte drink additives but I always ensure it specifically says "sodium" rather than just "minerals", Decathlon do a good one.

Top Bottom