I am preparing for a more regular commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have only been cycling to work at weekends as 15 + miles is a bit much with no showers.
bath.gif
I can't wait 10 months till I can get a new bike under Cycle2Work so I changed my 1.9 tyres to 1.25 this morning. I need a bit of practice with them over the weekend as I wobble a bit more than usual :cry:then I be off down Upminster, Barking, Upton Park, Canning Town to South Quay. Anyone else going that way should spot me quite easily as a MTB with skinny tyres does look odd. xx(

thomas

the tank engine
mr_cellophane said:
I have only been cycling to work at weekends as 15 + miles is a bit much with no showers.
bath.gif
I can't wait 10 months till I can get a new bike under Cycle2Work so I changed my 1.9 tyres to 1.25 this morning. I need a bit of practice with them over the weekend as I wobble a bit more than usual :cry:then I be off down Upminster, Barking, Upton Park, Canning Town to South Quay. Anyone else going that way should spot me quite easily as a MTB with skinny tyres does look odd. :smile:

I used to do 15 miles without a shower. I always got in the office before the boss so just sat down with the fan on me, cooled down and it was fine ;).

I know a chap who has a MTB with skinnies...they're REALLY skinny though...not that odd :sad:

I've done a ten mile one way commute for the last 15 years with no showers,ironically they are putting showers in at work now.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Well, again, as far as the morning commute goes, I'm fortunate. I work outdoors, and get sweated up during the day, anyway. Don't have to wear suit and tie in a small office, meeting important clients or anything. Main thing is, shower or bathe daily, and wear clean clothes in the morning. Get to work early enough to cool down (poodle around the car park for a few minutes...the breeze will help cool you down). Towel off. Sweat doesn't stink. It's a dirty body and dirty clothes that stink.

theboytaylor

There aren't showers where I work either, but fortunately the loo cubicles are quite large with a sink in there as well. So, I can lock the door, put my towel on the floor, get undressed and then get on with it.

Obviously it would be a bit more awkward if the sinks are in the communal area, so to speak. You don't want to be stood on a towel in the altogether as people walk by ;):biggrin:!!!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I do 14.5 miles each way with no showers. Baby wipes, towel and a can of deodorant do the trick ;)

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
At least it is only for 6 months, then new building another 5 miles away with proper showers/lockers/bike rack etc.
The main problem with no showers is that our air conditioning is "variable". Monday morning was so hot I thought I would pass out. Normally it is comfortable until 4:00 and then starts blowing cold air. That isn't too bad for an hour, but not nice when I have to stop till 7:00 once a month.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
My commute is 18.4 miles and I just keep a spare set of clothes at work that I change once a week (usually have to drive at least once a week) with some BO Basher and wax for the barnet.... 5 mins outside cooling down does the trick I find.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I see a few MB's with skinny tyres on my commute... not so strange as you think.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Eat MY Dust said:
yup, I do 13 miles each way with no shower and never smell. Funny how there's a guy at work who drives and smells to high heaven!!

Because he is a dirty bastard... probably!

Cubist

Still wavin'
ianrauk said:
I see a few MB's with skinny tyres on my commute... not so strange as you think.

Mine has 1" slicks for the week, and then back to its 2.25" for the weekend. Makes a hell of a difference over the commute.

DSC00048-1.jpg

Top Bottom