I believe the children are our future...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There's hope for us yet:

IMG_20160702_100128.jpg

These are children who obviously understand Rory's condition and genuinely feel warmth and friendship towards him. Lets just hope it continues into their teenage years when hormones start raging and the nitpicking generally starts.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
These are children who obviously understand Rory's condition and genuinely feel warmth and friendship towards him. Lets just hope it continues into their teenage years when hormones start raging and the nitpicking generally starts.

One of our boys has DS. All the kids at Primary school were nice to him. All the kids at Secondary school were nice to him. Now he has left Secondary school his younger brother's friends at Secondary school are invariably nice to him too. It's easy to fear the worst in children when you have a child who is vulnerable but my experience is that these fears are very much exaggerated

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One of our boys has DS. All the kids at Primary school were nice to him. All the kids at Secondary school were nice to him. Now he has left Secondary school his younger brother's friends at Secondary school are invariably nice to him too. It's easy to fear the worst in children when you have a child who is vulnerable but my experience is that these fears are very much exaggerated
Couldn't agree more. I do wonder whether it's because I live in a 'nice' part of the world, but every time I hear/read about the Daily Wailing about how everything's going to pot and the young have gone feral, I look around me at my daughters' peers and you couldn't ask for a nicer, more decent, more polite, more considerate bunch.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Couldn't agree more. I do wonder whether it's because I live in a 'nice' part of the world, but every time I hear/read about the Daily Wailing about how everything's going to pot and the young have gone feral, I look around me at my daughters' peers and you couldn't ask for a nicer, more decent, more polite, more considerate bunch.
From my limited contact with the young (I have none of my own, but ex GF had 3 and I have nephews, nieces; friends with young families etc..) I would say they are on the whole more balanced than the lot I went to school with in the 70's.. They do seem more academic, less aggressive, and generally better behaved than we were. I went to school with some real headcases, and that was a public school in a small, picturesque borders town.
Maybe it's the lack of lead in modern petrol?

Lets just hope it continues into their teenage years when hormones start raging and the nitpicking generally starts.
Over many, many years in teaching, one of the biggest and most heartwarming changes I have seen is the way (in the main) kids look out for, and are protective, of fair treatment and recognition for their fellows with different abilities.

Hey - it's not perfect. But often the kids are way ahead of some of the teaching staff. :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
Im sure there are as many nice kids out there as bad ones...
My grandaughter (11) was with her mum shopping when she spotted a £10 note on the floor, she picked it up and mum suggested they ask at the tills, if anyone had lost it. Within seconds a yoing boy came running in, looking worried, scanning the floor.
'Looking for this ?' She asked.
He'd dropped it moments earlier.

Good on ya Hollie :okay:

Similarly its one thing I'm proud of my daughter and a group of her friends for. One of them has brittle bones so wasn't allowed off school premises at lunchtime. Never any doubt the rest of them would stay too and we didn't know about her friends health problems for quite a while.

Top Bottom