I bought a fixie to help my bad knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
20161113_152837.jpg

So far so good. I damaged my left knee. Pretty sure its patella tendonitis. Been painful for about 3 weeks. I done it by going for a 9 mile run when I haven't run in a long time. I was told riding fixed gear the back pedalling to brake would help strengthen the tendon so I bought this from gumtree. Came with 49/16 which I've changed to 49/21. A low gear but I don’t care about speed on flats it’s a nice gear for hill climbing at 224lbs and north london is obviously not short of some epic climbs.

It also makes a nice change during that winter slump. Freshens it up somewhat.

20161113_152833.jpg

Attachments

• 20161113_152837.jpg
    20161113_152837.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 20161113_152833.jpg
    20161113_152833.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 97

screenman

Legendary Member
Who gave you that advice, I have had knee problems for over 25 years but not one person has suggested back pedalling on a fixie as a cure. I am genuinely interested, my knee problems finished my racing, as yet not quite my cycling.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
Not a health care profressional. The way I see it it can't make it any worse so I might as well give it a shot. With patella tendonitis one should avoid running, squatting, walking up stairs etc. These movements aren't replicated on the fixie so perhaps it is strengthening it only time will tell

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
Don't squats and walking up stairs work muscles involved in straightening your legs? I thought straightening your legs was a big part of cycling?
The motion of cycling is far less strenuous on the knees then those other activities. It doesn't hurt when cycling. Obviously cycling puts far less strain on the tendon then those other things. Simply doing nothing is not a good option for recovery either.

I believe active recovery is the best bet. Conventional advice from so called professionals is often worthless. New methods are only found by certain people pushing boundries and fixed gear may just be that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't start braking with your legs on fixed, especially with a dodgy knee. Rode one for 8 years and braking is for the emergency, not to be advised in general use.

screenman

Legendary Member
The motion of cycling is far less strenuous on the knees then those other activities. It doesn't hurt when cycling. Obviously cycling puts far less strain on the tendon then those other things. Simply doing nothing is not a good option for recovery either.

I believe active recovery is the best bet. Conventional advice from so called professionals is often worthless. New methods are only found by certain people pushing boundries and fixed gear may just be that.

Gentle cycling can help knee problems, back pedalling as you mentioned earlier with knee problems and on a fixie is stupid.

@blazed - is you knee problem on the outside of the affected leg?

I had issues with the ITB and the only cure was stretching and foam roller use.

I'd say be careful with the advice you have been given, was it a health professional/physio?

It's your knee, so your choice. But from my last 12 months of suffering with patella tendonitis. I can say the best thing I have done for it is rest for the last 8 weeks.

Top Bottom