I bought a fixie to help my bad knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's your knee, so your choice. But from my last 12 months of suffering with patella tendonitis. I can say the best thing I have done for it is rest for the last 8 weeks.

It's your knee, so your choice. But from my last 12 months of suffering with patella tendonitis. I can say the best thing I have done for it is rest for the last 8 weeks.

Sounds pretty bad, hope you get better soon, is the end in sight and can it be prevented in future ?

Sounds pretty bad, hope you get better soon, is the end in sight and can it be prevented in future ?

It started when I tore some ligaments in my ankle. I strapped it up to immobilise it and continued playing rugby for 8 months the week after. It took 3 months for my ankle to heal, but while it was strapped up the ankle was unable to move to take the lateral motion. And the next joint is the knee.

So it's preventable by not strapping an ankle up and then using it so much. I've missed the first 8 weeks of the off season training now, as it had got to the point that I couldn't even walk up stairs the day after.

It started when I tore some ligaments in my ankle. I strapped it up to immobilise it and continued playing rugby for 8 months the week after. It took 3 months for my ankle to heal, but while it was strapped up the ankle was unable to move to take the lateral motion. And the next joint is the knee.

So it's preventable by not strapping an ankle up and then using it so much. I've missed the first 8 weeks of the off season training now, as it had got to the point that I couldn't even walk up stairs the day after.

I used to turn my ligaments regularly when I played football and rugby, bloody painful. I can see how you managed to damaged the knee as I use to be up and about after a week or so then back playing a couple of weeks after the injury.

It makes me wonder if the ligament damage could have been contributory to the knee issues later on.

if only I knew then etc.

best of luck with the recovery.

Red17

Veteran
Rather than just back pedalling to brake wouldn't it be more beneficial to do a few hill repeats in reverse? You could set a whole new set of reverse Strava KOM's

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
The novelty factor riding fixed has been good to keep the cycling motivation up at a time when it gets more difficult to be smashing it around the roads.

In terms of my knee I think it has got a little bit worse. Seems to have swollen up a little more. Pain wise still the same. Doesn't matter I'm not a quitter, I'll persevere I'm convinced in the long run the extra strength will be good.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
A friend of mine suggested I buy a full suspension mountain bike and 'hit the trails' in order to 'cure' the sporadic back pain that I have. I'm not quite sure why he assumed that would work but it gave me an excuse to hit the bike showrooms.

GOAB

lucydog8

THE RIBBLE VALLEY HOOTER!!
20161113_152837.jpg

So far so good. I damaged my left knee. Pretty sure its patella tendonitis. Been painful for about 3 weeks. I done it by going for a 9 mile run when I haven't run in a long time. I was told riding fixed gear the back pedalling to brake would help strengthen the tendon so I bought this from gumtree. Came with 49/16 which I've changed to 49/21. A low gear but I don’t care about speed on flats it’s a nice gear for hill climbing at 224lbs and north london is obviously not short of some epic climbs.

It also makes a nice change during that winter slump. Freshens it up somewhat.

20161113_152833.jpg
The knee problem that i had 20 years ago was called pre-patella-bursar and the operation i had was at the front of the knee there is a sack ,which olds fluid to protect the damage knee.
I had it removed and the knee as been perfect since, from what i can remember i was in a lot of real pain before the op, day surgery.

Attachments

• 20161113_152837.jpg
    20161113_152837.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20161113_152833.jpg
    20161113_152833.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 87

gaijintendo

Veteran
Old thread, but I can imagine slowing your descent might build up some complimentary muscle groups. Braking might just damage those muscles if you build up speed.
I just bought (was fleeced, total eBay junker) a fixie, and I am pretty sure braking will be defensive slowing down, rather than braking... I have zero confidence at this point.

Top Bottom