I bought a powermeter....now what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You don't need anything, not even a basic computer with speed in order to ride hard. If you want to ride hard repeatedly and accurately, you need something that's accurate in order to do something measureable.

RPE scales and HRM's are not that - but if those are good enough for you - great.

You don't need anything, not even a basic computer with speed in order to ride hard. If you want to ride hard repeatedly and accurately, you need something that's accurate in order to do something measureable.

RPE scales and HRM's are not that - but if those are good enough for you - great.

I do struggle to understand this.

If I ride on Monday and put out 250W at 130bpm
And then ride on Tuesday and put out 240W at 140bpm

Which day leads to more physiological adaptation - which I assume is the purpose of "training"?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I do struggle to understand this.

If I ride on Monday and put out 250W at 130bpm
And then ride on Tuesday and put out 240W at 140bpm

Which day leads to more physiological adaptation - which I assume is the purpose of "training"?
Training days don't lead to physiological adaptation - recovery days do.

mattobrien

Guru
We were talking about riding easy. Not moderate, not hard, but easy. For those RPE and HR is more than suitable. Even for hard, RPE is very reliable. RPE is RPE.

You don’t need to meet a power number. Go as hard as you can whilst completing the intervals. Some days you’ll feel better and put out more watts, some days not as good, less watts.
Apologies, my RPE comments weren’t really about when riding easy, more on focused training, but if you’ve got a PM and are using it properly then focused training is what you’ll be doing.
As I pointed out RPE does vary, let’s say the RPE for my session yesterday went from a 5 to an 8 as it progressed. The watts remained the same, so it I had solely been focusing on keeping RPE the same then I would have been easing off and under training.
Some days do feel better than others, but I always say it’s amazing what you can do with tired legs. In order to get maximum training benefit from limited time, I think everyone would be better working to power number (if available to them) rather than RPE. Putting out less watts when you’re not feeling as strong will lead to under training, a lower than required tss and a sub optimal result. Training is quite calculated and specific and using a pm delivers this. I believe that solely going off RPE would leads to a far inferior training outcome and leave nearly all riders behind their piers who were training with power.

That said, I do believe that anyone who isn’t training or racing with power doesn’t need a pm, it’s just another number to look at, that is essentially meaningless.

Last edited:
Take a look at Xert. It's a truly innovative tool for making sense of your power numbers and improving your performance. I'd also recommend a Garmin head unit such as the 530 or 830 since it can run the Xert ConnectIQ apps to get real time data from Xert and enables you to run workouts out on the on the road. No FTP tests ever either. Xert also has a bike computer apps for IOS and Android phones or the Karoo Hammerhead 2 head unit.

Just riding around looking at your power numbers will get boring very quickly.
Just as a note, I looked at this and looks similar to what resides on my Garmin 1030/garmin website already but with better planning tools info and graphics. I signed up for the 30 day free trial and once I finish my current sufferfest program next week I will give it a go. NB I found the the age group comparison stuff very interesting. So thanks for the heads up on it as I had not heard of it before.

OP
OP
T

Tooth

About the Wahoo fitness app:
As i can see, it is possible to record the power data but it doesnt show it realtime. Only the cadence is displayed realtime.

Top Bottom