I bought a powermeter....now what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tooth

Hi guys, i overeagerly bought a Assioma Duo powermeter because i thought it would be realy nice to see my power output,log my data and see my progress over time.
I thought i can connect it with my smartphone and with strava to display and logg everything. As it turns out, it doesn't work that way. I didn't even found a app that can show me my powerdata in realtime.

As i understand now, i at least have to get a headunit, like a Garmin Edge 520 oder something like that.
Will it work that way and can you recomend a headunit? I realy dont need GPS, i only want my powerdata displayed and logged.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A Garmin 520 is useful for other things, but yes, you'll need one. It's what my son uses with his Stages power meter. Me? I don't bother using one; I don't put out enough power to make that much difference.

Others recommend units by Wahoo.

The basic question is this: why do you want to use a power meter? If it's just to get numbers, then it's an expensive way to do that. What's your goal here?

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Apparently the Wahoo Fitness app will allow you to record rides with power data. I've not tried it so I couldn't say for sure.

I use a Garmin 820 head unit to record from sensors - it's the best overall solution compared to using a phone as @DCLane says.

As for using the power meter, without an understanding of how the power data relates to your fitness and knowing your power zones it's basically an expensive calorie counter. You'd be best off pairing it with a turbo trainer if you don't already have one, doing an FTP test and then using the data to build some training plans you can work.

Doing an FTP test outdoors is really hard unless you have a stretch of road with no turnings/traffic lights etc and can ride for 30+ minutes uninterrupted.

mattobrien

Guru
Firstly, congratulations on buying an excellent power meter, as far as pedal PMs go, I don’t think you can beat Assiomas.

I have power on all my bikes, but I train with power. Unless you’re training (or racing) with power, it’s really just another number to see and it doesn’t really mean anything. Having power is a great way to get fitter, but testing is required, as is specific training.

The vast, vast majority of my rides are training and I rarely ride for fun anymore, but my numbers are going in the right direction (slowly) and the racing season isn’t far away, so I get to use my work over the winter

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I still fail to understand power meters as I don't produce any electricity when I ride. I only use cadence and mph, the two things I can relate to. Watts are only for light bulbs and electrical appliances as far as I am concerned, not my legs.

si_c

Guru
I still fail to understand power meters as I don't produce any electricity when I ride. I only use cadence and mph, the two things I can relate to. Watts are only for light bulbs and electrical appliances as far as I am concerned, not my legs.
Watts are a measure of power, regardless of how that power is generated.

gzoom

Über Member
Apparently the Wahoo Fitness app will allow you to record rides with power data. I've not tried it so I couldn't say for sure.

I use the Wahoo app to connect to my eBike which gives out Power and Cadence readings, works well.

51002196942_5515143474_c_d.jpg

Wahoo App than uploads data automatically to Strava so you can do segment analysis if interested.

51001377678_52ff758467_c_d.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tooth

So i have a Road Bike For about 2-3 years but i Just recently started to ride more often.
I bought a wahoo kickr v5 and rode about 2000km since mid november. The FTP Test on zwift showed 350w but the Maximum i was able to Producer for an real hour was about 320w.

I installed the wahoo Fitness App an added the powermeters, but i havent Seen my poweroutput. Maybe i have to configure something in the App to Display also Power.

Mark pallister

Hi guys, i overeagerly bought a Assioma Duo powermeter because i thought it would be realy nice to see my power output,log my data and see my progress over time.
I thought i can connect it with my smartphone and with strava to display and logg everything. As it turns out, it doesn't work that way. I didn't even found a app that can show me my powerdata in realtime.

As i understand now, i at least have to get a headunit, like a Garmin Edge 520 oder something like that.
Will it work that way and can you recomend a headunit? I realy dont need GPS, i only want my powerdata displayed and logged.
Garmin edge 130 might be the one of the cheaper options
cracking little computer for the money and will save your power to garmin connect and strava

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Two of my regular cycling buddies use power meters to good effect. They have a real understanding of and close to obsession with the numbers. It's part of the enjoyment for them. Excellent and for one in particular the results are spectacular.

They often urge me to get a power meter saying it will improve my riding. They're right it would. Problem is I have very little interest in or understanding of the numbers.

If you're inclined to take it very seriously the power meter will be a great training tool. If not send it back and spend your cash on something else.

Yes, you'll need a head unit. I recommend Wahoo.

Top Bottom