I can be seen in the daylight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Commuting home on saturday on a busy road, 6pm, sunny, decided to put my rear flashing lights on as an experiment.

Doing 25, cars draws alongside, winds down passenger windows, and kindly informs me that my rear lights are on! He was genuinely trying to be helpful.

Job done!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
;) Mr T had that pointed out to him too, by a "helpful" member of a local road cycling club, who should have known better ... Mr T's answer was "good, isn't it" (being rather proud of his DiNotte)

T

tincaman said:
Commuting home on saturday on a busy road, 6pm, sunny, decided to put my rear flashing lights on as an experiment.

Doing 25, cars draws alongside, winds down passenger windows, and kindly informs me that my rear lights are on! He was genuinely trying to be helpful.

Job done!

I get it all the time (put my basic one on flashing all the time), even from some other cyclists. One of which came out of nowhere and nearly had me off with surprise as they buzzed me, muppets.

I'm a bit sick and tired of it actually, and just huff "I know..."

Armegatron

drsquirrel said:
I get it all the time (put my basic one on flashing all the time), even from some other cyclists. One of which came out of nowhere and nearly had me off with surprise as they buzzed me, muppets.

I'm a bit sick and tired of it actually, and just huff "I know..."

Me too - I find it strange when it comes from other cyclists as they should understand that anything that can be done to be seen has to be a good thing surely. I even ride on sunny days with the lights on because in they would work in the shade.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I admit to telling someone they had left their light on when I was first starting to commute. Now I tend to do the same and have my rear light on when ever I ride.

Origamist

Legendary Member
This reminds me of a cyclist I saw last week who had tied a balloon (one of those metallic looking ones) to their rear rack. It was very eye-catching as it was glinting in the sun and moving around. It was far more visible than a rear light.

Armegatron

Origamist said:
This reminds me of a cyclist I saw last week who had tied a balloon (one of those metallic looking ones) to their rear rack. It was very eye-catching as it was glinting in the sun and moving around. It was far more visible than a rear light.

England flag on mine - I get kids shouting "Wow! England Flag!" :becool:

Origamist

Legendary Member
mike.pembo said:
England flag on mine - I get kids shouting "Wow! England Flag!" :becool:

Are you going to keep it attached to the bike after tomorrow?!

More seriously, and I've made the point before, it's worth considering visibility strategies beyond what is normally associated with cycling (i.e. s powerful lights, high viz etc) and go for something unusual, extraordinary even, as it can be incredibly eye-catching: "the shock of the new" and all that.

Armegatron

Origamist said:
Are you going to keep it attached to the bike after tomorrow?!

More seriously, and I've made the point before, it's worth considering visibility strategies beyond what is normally associated with cycling (i.e. s powerful lights, high viz etc) and go for something unusual, extraordinary even, as it can be incredibly eye-catching: "the shock of the new" and all that.

Put it this way, I was going to take a half day to watch the match - instead Id rather work :becool:
Only thing about having the flag is the flapping, as it makes it a bit more tricky to hear for cars approaching etc. Ive got used to it though and I think the flapping of the flag works well in gaining attention of drivers and getting more respect on the road. Ill have to find a new flag after tomorrow though, Ill be too ashamed to have an england one ;)

blockend

If you can put up with the aerodynamics a child seat works wonders. It gives even the most homicidal driver pause for thought. A couple of windmills and a stuffed toy is worth another yard of space.
Filling it with a real child tends to minimise the safety effect, rather like having a sack of potatoes possessed by the spirit of Chubby Checker.

Top Bottom