I can't believe what I've just seen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I find my V Brakes are much easier to adjust than Cantis, but Cantis IMHO are more than strong enough. An Engineer of sorts explained how the angles work and how you need to peak the mechanical advantage when the brakes bite by having the straddle wire the correct length/angle from the brake arms and it made a huge difference. :smile:

sidevalve

Über Member
I've just been out for a walk around town on my lunch hour and seen someone on an old MTB with canti brakes with the pads installed at a right angle to what they should be so that only the top tip of the pad was contacting the tyre and no part of it was touching the rim.:eek:

Who the **** would install brake pads like this and why?:wacko:
Well obviously he's saving wear on the pads. Someone probably told him they would last a lifetime used like that !

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I only looked in passing but it looked like a 26" wheel.

If it was a 700c, there would be a real risk of missing the rim completely and hitting the spokes I should think. Would certainly bring the bike to a stop but single use only and a helmet recommended.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Or, even easier, use old fashioned straddles, and unhook them. Easy Peasy !
Sometimes, but even stradles can be problematic. I've had set ups whereby holding the brakes closed does not give quite enough clearance to unhook. If I'm only working on the wheel and don't need to touch the brakes letting the tire down seems the least bother. No tricky setting up at all, just a bit of grunt work on the pump. (No innuendo intended....Well, maybe a bit :smile: )

Top Bottom