I couldn't help myself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

JamesAC said:
There does seem to a lot of it going on. I think about 1 car in 10 has the driver using a mobile whilst driving. Given that some research says that it is 4 times more dangerous than driving under the influence of alcohol, I think it's time it was stamped on hard.

Yes if I get a chance tomorrow I will need to look out some of the research so I can quote it in my e-mail. I might also suggest that the taxi company would get some good publicity if it invested in bluetooth headsets for all their drivers. I know that this isn't ideal (I'd rather there was no mobile use at all) however, it'd be a start!

Bokonon

Über Member
On Friday I thought I saw a policeman talking on a mobile phone whilst in the drivers seat of his police car with the engine running whilst parked half on the pavement, half on the road (with double yellow lines) on the inside of a left hand bend next to a junction but it must have been my imagination - surely one policeman could not commit so many offences at the same time?

domd1979

Veteran
Taxi firms generally use radios for their operation, so in theory drivers shouldn't be using their mobile phone for anything work related...!

magnatom said:
Yes if I get a chance tomorrow I will need to look out some of the research so I can quote it in my e-mail. I might also suggest that the taxi company would get some good publicity if it invested in bluetooth headsets for all their drivers. I know that this isn't ideal (I'd rather there was no mobile use at all) however, it'd be a start!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Doesn't the use of the radio (CB type rather than the receiver of Classic FM etc.) constitute some offence though? Surely it's exactly the same sort of thing - brain disengaged, talking and holding the device in one hand (albeit not to the ear).

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Amazingly I saw another T.O.A cab driver using his mobile whilst driving on the way home last night. He was only about 200m from where I saw the first driver. He even gave me a smile and a wave when I pointed to my camera!:biggrin:

I will post this video as well later. I am looking forward to writing this letter!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Here is the video of that second taxi driver. Would you believe that a few seconds later my batteries died on me, so you don't get to see the smile and the wave that the driver gave me (whilst holding his phone!:biggrin: )

domd1979

Veteran
Use of two way radios is permitted (certainly is for PSVs anyway) unless "the device is capable of being used as a telephone".

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Doesn't the use of the radio (CB type rather than the receiver of Classic FM etc.) constitute some offence though? Surely it's exactly the same sort of thing - brain disengaged, talking and holding the device in one hand (albeit not to the ear).

Top Bottom