I did my first 100 miles!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidg

well done. I am not surprised you avoided the cream egg though!

Jaguar

TijnUK said:
Ditchling Beacon is waiting for me and she is far from being my friend
... but what a wonderful feeling when you get to the top, and the riders before you are cheering you on ;)

I did a 100miler once, 6 weeks after chemo:- I think I must have been still high on morphine. I didn't make any kind of impressive time, but I did it, and collapsed into the beer tent afterwards.

Well done you, have you signed up for the next one yet?

OP
OP
T

TijnUK

Hi Dayvo,

Well it's a long time ago sice I read Tim Krabbe and am sorry to say I cannot remember the story. Although may I shouldn't be sorry as now I can read it again.

Thanks for the compliment!

OP
OP
T

TijnUK

Hi Jaguar,

That's impresssive mate.

I remember I was diagnosed with Diabetes in 1999. To get me out of my depression my parents lent me the money to by my bike with the promise it would get me on my feet again.
I couldn't ride a 100 yards the first time. I started training a bit and became slowly fitter. In 2001 I climbed the Mont Ventoux from Bedoin in 2 hours precisely. By far not as impressive like you but am still proud of it.

I haven't signed up for a next one yet. The 100 mile ride cost me more than I thought. I did a spinning class 3 days later which was extremely hard and due to being very busy I haven't gotten back on my bike yet.

I still feel really tired everyday and have not much energy. Partly I think it is because of stress but I might also over trained a bit. The furthest I had cycled was 55 miles so not the 10% increase every time.
I have Thursday of so hopefully I can get ride in. :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well done Tijn. I've just come back from a tour of your country (see link below!) - great fun and nice people.
The Beacon is one of my regular climbs too. It never gets easier you just do it quicker. It's fun to time it as a check on your fitness and progress. My best is 6m 55sec but Will1985 of this forum did it in 5m 30sec:ohmy:

OP
OP
T

TijnUK

I was just a bit disappointed that you didn't manage to eat the two cream eggs!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I did had one when I came home that day and I had one late at night when I had a hypo (low sugar level), :smile:, but they don't sell them in Holland. I brought them from my kids Eastern hunt here in the UK. I really like them too but considering the enormous amount of sucker in them and me being a diabetic I got to take it easy on them. My kids by the way only like to find them, :biggrin:

OP
OP
T

TijnUK

Hi RichP,

That was great fun seeing your link of the ride in Holland. Brings back lots of memories. I can't wait for my kids to grow up and wanting to go on holidays on there own so I can start going on cycling holidays. Unfortunately I have not menaged to inspire my wife enough to startcycling. But there is hope as she now goes spinning sometimes.

The picture of the cheese store made me feel a bit homesick. My fridge showed me this morning there was only one piece left. I can't understand either why the Dutch mostly export the Edammer cheese ball in red, pure poison. Apperently there is a store in Victoria station which sells proper old Amsterdam cheese but it's not cheap.

I have never timed my Beacon victories yet and am afraid of the time it will show. But I will remember your time and hope to be matching it at some point in life. But coming from the lowlands my wife keeps remembering me that when I first came to Brighton and we were driving from Gatwick I said, Look at those mountains darling :biggrin:. That's how the Beacon makes me feel.

toekneep

Very well done Tijn. I did my first 100 last year (well apart from one about thirty years ago but I've kind of dismissed that. In your neck of the woods as it happens). Anyway, I just wanted to say I really understand how you feel and you should be proud of yourself. I am planning another one in a few weeks and this time I hope to make it the start of more regular rides of that length. Here's to the second ton!

OP
OP
T

TijnUK

Cheers Toekneep!

I went for a 25 miles today but it was hard going. Cold too. I feel like I have to start again with training. You reckon this is what they mean with peaking?

Top Bottom