I discovered a cycling paradise last weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

In case anyone is looking for somewhere for a relaxing cycling holiday off the beaten track I would recommend the Machars peninsula, Wigtonshire. Between Newton Stewart and the Isle of Whithorn is a marvellous network of relatively flat traffic free roads, making it ideal for families or time triallists. The scenery is lovely and there are several unspoilt sandy beaches. On sunday afternoon on the beach at Monreith, which is pretty massive, there was only about 15 or 20 people on the whole beach. I stayed at an excellent campsite at Knock school nearby where I couldn't have had a warmer welcome... http://www.knockschool.co.uk/ (It is beside an A road but don't let that put you off as only about half a dozen cars pass by in an hour in the middle of the day and about the same amount all night).

The locals say that the area is 20 years behind the rest of the world and on what I've seen I would agree. All in all an unspoilt gem of a place and highly recommended! :smile:

stephenjubb

Über Member
how much did you pay for camping? website says 11 pounds

Crankarm

Guru
Togley said:
In case anyone is looking for somewhere for a relaxing cycling holiday off the beaten track I would recommend the Machars peninsula, Wigtonshire. Between Newton Stewart and the Isle of Whithorn is a marvellous network of relatively flat traffic free roads, making it ideal for families or time triallists. The scenery is lovely and there are several unspoilt sandy beaches. On sunday afternoon on the beach at Monreith, which is pretty massive, there was only about 15 or 20 people on the whole beach. I stayed at an excellent campsite at Knock school nearby where I couldn't have had a warmer welcome... http://www.knockschool.co.uk/ (It is beside an A road but don't let that put you off as only about half a dozen cars pass by in an hour in the middle of the day and about the same amount all night).

The locals say that the area is 20 years behind the rest of the world and on what I've seen I would agree. All in all an unspoilt gem of a place and highly recommended! :smile:

I guess they don't have mobile phones then :smile:.

I should imagine it is pretty remote as most traffic on the A75 is either going to or from the ferry at Stanraer to Carlisle - 99 miles.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Togley said:

The locals say that the area is 20 years behind the rest of the world and on what I've seen I would agree. All in all an unspoilt gem of a place and highly recommended! :cry:

Sounds a wee bit busy, try Bute the Jewel of the Clyde... ;)

4585074422_b2802392f6.jpg

A844 on Bute at rush hour...

Top Bottom