I done gone and got me a project - rust!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Just peeked, still there !

Plastic tub has quite a lot of orange sludge though - do I need to skim that out? I'll clean up the anodes before doing the next batch.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Well that's a bit impressive !

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Just need temporarily prop up the rafters mid-sag and fix them up with a cable wire fixed with eye-bolts at each end of the rafters slung under a vertical bracing wooden strut mid-span to create a simple truss and that roof'll last you out!

That electrolysis looks seriously impressive.

Picked this up for a bargain £30 from eBay
View attachment 586265

A nice wee blacksmith's post vice and stand. Quite a bit of work to do though.
View attachment 586267

I need to figure out if there's a wedge missing that would explain the leaf spring being loose and not pushing the jaws open.

Anyway, step one - take it to bits

View attachment 586268

The bolts holding the top bracket on will never release their nuts so I'll grind them off tomorrow.

Now what about getting the rust off. A 5l bottle of evapo-rust costs as much as the vice did so I'm thinking of a vinegar/salt solution unless anyone's got a better idea?
Plastic tank, grunty 12VDC power supply, sodium carbonate, steel wire.
There is nothing cheaper or more effective.
I used to use citric acid diluted in water but it got pricey.

People who use electrolysis for cleaning artifacts, old gun parts, agricultural tools take the process to professional levels to avoid discolouration. Changing the solution during the process, using water low in carbonates to stop blackening.
I saw some very old woodwork tools that had been subjected to electrolysis TLC and they looked perfect, the pitting clearly visible but the steel looked like it was fresh from the shop and without any blemishes.

classic33

Leg End Member
Picked this up for a bargain £30 from eBay
View attachment 586265

A nice wee blacksmith's post vice and stand. Quite a bit of work to do though.
View attachment 586267

I need to figure out if there's a wedge missing that would explain the leaf spring being loose and not pushing the jaws open.

Anyway, step one - take it to bits

View attachment 586268

The bolts holding the top bracket on will never release their nuts so I'll grind them off tomorrow.

Now what about getting the rust off. A 5l bottle of evapo-rust costs as much as the vice did so I'm thinking of a vinegar/salt solution unless anyone's got a better idea?
Weak spring as opposed to a piece(wedge) missing!
a57e502f6b75860ac25e174da94e1791.jpg

Top Bottom