I done gone and got me a project - rust!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Weak spring as opposed to a piece(wedge) missing!
View attachment 586845
Ooh handy diagram - thank you!

I see mine's was missing the keyed wedge. I had thought it was opposing wedges so I'd made one up, but a keyed wedge makes more sense.

In the pic below you can see the gap at the clamp caused by the missing keyed wedge that meant the spring had fallen loose.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I just stumbled on a pretty detailed article on electrolysis that gives instructions for removing the black muck left after the rust has migrated.

https://www.metaldetectingworld.com/electrolysis_rust_removal.shtml

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My back disagrees with the "portable" bit. Definitely a 2 person lift.

A "post" or "leg" vice differs from normal vices in that all the energy from battering whatever it's holding with big hammers is dissipated down the post and into the ground - none into the workbench. If you used a normal vice - like the one attached to my wooden bench in my wooden shed with a wooden floor - you're liable to damage the bench and/or shed. In addition, when you batter downwards on your normal vice, a lot of the energy goes through the threads which could also be damaged.

This post vice is designed for big hairy lummoxes like me to mallet big bits of iron with bloomin' great hammers. They're deceptively clever bits of engineering almost unchanged since the 1800s.

battered

Guru
I think that a leg vice is traditionally forged steel or cast steel and not cast iron. Cast iron is brittle and it is possible to break a cast iron vice with a big enough hammer. This one will be steel and if you hit it hard enough it will simply bend. This makes them immune to the biggest blacksmith.

Seevio

Guru
I think that a leg vice is traditionally forged steel or cast steel and not cast iron. Cast iron is brittle and it is possible to break a cast iron vice with a big enough hammer. This one will be steel and if you hit it hard enough it will simply bend. This makes them immune to the biggest blacksmith.
In all fairness, It's possible to break nearly everything with a big enough hammer.

Top Bottom