I don't follow F1 but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

Guru
Alonso whinges even more than Hamilton does. Hamilton's still learning, it takes most F1 drivers 3-5 years to mature

I can't see hammy matching Alonso's whingeing, he's in a class of his own. One of my favourite moments in f1 was Felipe Massa to Alonso, after FM had inconsiderately failed to pull over and let FA past "what is it with you? You win the race, and still you moan!" I'm sure they're best buddies now though.

Finding the BBC British Sports Personality of the Year for 2010 just got a lot more difficult....
whistling.gif

Cavendish kinda has to win this year, really.

mark barker

And it's not helped by having crap tracks like yesterdays where a far slower car/driver combo can't be overtaken.

The problem is that the quality of tracks from a spectators point of view comes a poor second to the ability to park ones yacht within walking distance of the paddock.
I'd love to know what Tilke has done to deserve the special treatment that he gets in F1. None of the circuits he has designed are any good for modern F1 cars. It'd be nice if the car designers were given a chance at designing a circuit, they're the ones that would really understand the way in which a car would react in a given corner and might result in a circuit that overtaking is a true possibility, and not just the pit lane!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The trouble with any new circuit is, no matter how clever and inventive you are with the arrangement of corners and chicanes, the fastest and most effective racing line is soon established which makes trying to take any other line totally pointless and once the drivers learn that line nothing can be done within the efficiency of the latest technology to create any interest or drama.

It is a procession because the tolerances are so fine and and you can only lose position by coming off the fastest line.

So, F1 is pointless- so why do I watch it every time? In the hope that something will change to make it competitive and exciting!!
sad.gif

darkstar

So, F1 is pointless- so why do I watch it every time? In the hope that something will change to make it competitive and exciting!!
sad.gif
Rain is the usual suspect.

To be far, the last 2 championships have been awesome, I've enjoyed them.

But on subject, F1 is tedious, IME it's all politics and about the bigger picture of the championship. It should be about the individual races, having actual racing rather than processions and overtaking in pit stops. F1 will not be exciting until they shorten the race distance so they do not have to take a pit stop. Then drivers are forced to learn how to overtake, and constructors are forced to create cars that can be fast beyond the racing line. Look at MotoGP for example, short races, millions of overtakes in the whole field per race, and the grid qualifies within about 3 seconds of each other usually.

darkstar

Comparing the opportunities to overtake in MotoGP and F1 is laughable, it's extremely difficult. Some tracks offer some great overtaking though, especially in the middle of the field. I don't watch for that though, I love the tactics of the sport, and pit stops are integral to that, the tire choices can have such a huge impact on the race, it's fascinating to me.

Comparing the opportunities to overtake in MotoGP and F1 is laughable, it's extremely difficult. Some tracks offer some great overtaking though, especially in the middle of the field. I don't watch for that though, I love the tactics of the sport, and pit stops are integral to that, the tire choices can have such a huge impact on the race, it's fascinating to me.

Yes, I agree.

mark barker

I love the tactics of the sport, and pit stops are integral to that, the tire choices can have such a huge impact on the race, it's fascinating to me.
Sadly doing away with refueling has had a negative effect on the racing.... I'm sure they could've come up with a better solution to the dangers of refueling.

Top Bottom