I don't get it :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Sorry, I can't really offer any advise as I don't like it either. Yep, I have Four bikes (currently,) ride over 2500m a Year not counting mountain biking and even have a large cycling tattoo but can't really say I enjoy it that much.
Wheezed in to work today on the bike, 32 mile round trip in the dark on icy roads with the joy of a 200m climb into a fierce headwind to look forward to on the way home.

Why do I do it? Christ knows...

broomwagon

If you're not enthusiastic about it, then don't do it. It's almost as if you're trying to do something you don't or won't enjoy, so why do it? Do something else, something you enjoy, and if it's exercise you want then try walking, going to the gym or joining a running club. But if you're not enjoying it, look for another hobby to try.

kishan

get a riding partner so you can encourage each other there are days i cant be arsed to go out purely because the weather and being lonely even with an mp3 player it still gets boring on the road alone lol.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Most has already been said.

I would add this:
The hardest part of a bike ride is getting from "bed to shed".

If you really can't get out these days, wait until it's warmer and take the bike to a park/cafe/pub :blink: /wherever and, as has been said above - don't sweat about it too much. If you enjoy it, do it again. If not, sell the stuff (here first, obviously ^_^) and find an alternative exercise to help with the weight loss.

You're still very welcome on CC :hugs: !

Edwards80

Über Member
Does seem odd trying to force yourself to do something you aren't enjoying. It's like turning round and saying "I'm really going to get into cross stitching, it's good for my dexterity" then feeling bad about not liking it. :eek:

Try to find a riding partner, My Mrs was reluctant and didn't really enjoy it at first, she pushes me to go out on weekends now, I guess it comes with time once you get over the cold/wet/sore factors!

That said, I found commuting hard work when I first started and would have to convince myself to do it each morning. After a month, it had reversed and I now look for every excuse to go on the bike even if the weather is grim etc.

I hope you do stick with it though!

Hip Priest

Veteran
In my experience, cycling is one of those thing that rewards time and commitment. I love cycling now, but I didn't love it when I started and was huffing and puffing my way through my commute! Similarly, I didn't enjoy plating guitar through the bleeding fingers stage, but it was all worth it.

So my advice is to give cycling a proper good go or sell your bike and move on. Just don't sit around feeling guilty, waiting for the fancy to rake you!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So Summerdays and I have given opposite advice! :laugh:

Sort of ... and sort of not ^_^

I meant that he should choose something to fit cycling into rather than just thinking he had to cycle, so that the habit/routine takes over (rather than the voice in the head that says ... I'll do it tomorrow instead). But I agree that stick to the sunnier days at the moment as the weather can make it very difficult to get motivated - and that's me saying that about myself. At the weekend I had a choice of going home or going to visit a friend 10 miles away ... the washing needed to come off the line, but I decided if I went home then there was no way that I was going to get back on the bike, so I avoided the temptation of going home and cycled there. I know my temptation to be lazy level:blush:

Why do you want to enjoy cycling? Are you looking for something to keep you a bit fitter?
I took it up as an alternate to commuting by bus, which saved money, keeps me fitter, and is more convenient (don't have to wait for busses in the cold/wet or walk to the stops at either end); as well as being better for the environment.

I decided not to give myself the alternative and after a few weeks you are in the swing of things. I cycle in dark/wet/cold/whatever as it's the only form of transport I allow myself* normally.
*two winters back I did catch the train home, which I never normally did (bus vastly cheaper) because I didn't want to be riding in the snow after dark

It really is more convenient and for my normal commute I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you're unfit to begin with, how long is your stretch that you cycle and how hilly is it?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
it still gets boring on the road alone lol.

Thats something I can never understand I never ever get bored when out cycling, I get tired ^_^ but not bored. There is always something to look at outside, apart from the nutter drivers I mean, and it is nice to be away from the phone for a while.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Some thoughts...

One weekend or evening, you could try cycling halfway to work then halfway home again - just to prove you can do it.

When I go for a takeaway, I sling a coolbag over my shoulder & cycle - offsets the calories I am about to enjoy !

Grab a sunny hour for yourself, and hit the streets. The fresh air & exercise WILL produce positive hormones.

If you can get out on a country lane or two that can be wonderful. You will see a lot more wildlife on a bike than in a car.

Nearly there

Veteran
Try It in small doses at first and If you find you still dont get it after a while then its not for you, It doesnt have to be a race or how many miles you can do or whats your average speed just enjoy it.

rollinstok

If your bike is suitable ( a mountain bike or hybrid or similar ) take a ride along a canal path or cyclepath or park/country trail. Associate the bike with leisure time and not a commitment. Stay away from busy roads if at all possible. You will find it hard at first but you will come home with a sense of achievement. Each ride will seem to get easier and it doesnt take long to become an efficient cyclist. You will notice your clothes becoming a looser fit but you probably wont lose too much weight because your muscles will grow as you lose fat. Once you discover how easy ( after the initial pain ) it is to cover fair distances on a bike you will become a commuter. Good luck.

Wait for a sunny day. Go for a SHORT ride somewhere pleasant - enjoy the scenery, birds singing, etc.
Come home. Feel smug that you've exercised.

Repeat a few times on sunny days. Begin to notice that is is easier to do 5 miles, and try a bit longer.

Notice that you are feeling fitter/looking trimmer....

DO NOT try commuting to work (when you feel you have to get on the bike) until you decide you want to
What he said IMO :smile: Commuting can feel a chore even to a committed cyclist, so ride for pleasure until you get committed :smile:
You say you're overweight, but I'd wager you aren't 39 stone! If you haven't already seek out gb155 of this parish and ask him what got him motivated, or Google 39 stone cyclist and read his blog - if that doesn't inspire you then I suspect nothing will.
Stick at it and good luck :smile:

BikeLiker

When I'm low on motivation I tell myself I don't have to ride but must get changed into my cycling kit, then, if I still don't want to go, I can get changed back. Once dressed I nearly always go out, even if just for a tootle round the local roads.

Top Bottom