I don't know if I am going to Disc Brakes for Bicycle Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RollingNoMad

No way I am going to Disc Brakes for Bicycle Touring

Since I have put on my New Avid Single Digit 7 V-Brakes and Avid speed dial Brake levers. and Shimano XT trigger Shifter 9 speed. and There is times where I am Starting to look at Disc Brakes for Bicycle Touring? And I really don't like the idea of Having a Disc Brakes for Bicycle Touring! And I am going to be staying with V-Brakes for my Bicycle Touring Trips
31723298_1684465721629948_3843529876292239360_n.jpg

I am using the Avid SD7 V-Brakes front and rear Kool Stop V-Type Brake Shoes
(Dual Compound-Black/Salmon Pad's Rear and Front Dual Compound Black/Salmon V2 Pad's) and Avid Speed dial V-brake levers

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Plenty of other touring riders are still on cantilever or V-brakes. If they please you then there is absolutely no problem with that.:okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Gotta agree, until there are just 1 or 2 different pad shapes/types for disc brakes (like there are for caliper/V/cantilever) who wants to be stuck while a bike shop orders em in cos they "Don't stock those mate" and you've just trashed em on a muddy/dusty trail.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Gotta agree, until there are just 1 or 2 different pad shapes/types for disc brakes (like there are for caliper/V/cantilever) who wants to be stuck while a bike shop orders em in cos they "Don't stock those mate" and you've just trashed em on a muddy/dusty trail.
On the plus side, they're a lot smaller to carry spares (than caliper/V/cantilever pads - and definitely my hub shoes!).

But on the minus side, it's another thing to remember to take.

My touring bike has disc brakes, a Kona sutra, it’s around 10 years old and still using the original pads, I bought a new set of pads a couple of years ago, and they are tiny, but the old ones work well and have plenty of life, done 5000 miles, no wear on the wheels either, generally in hilly areas as well, so every time I am going down a 25% hill loaded, I am glad it has discs ^_^

Last edited:
I tour of the Surly Disc Trucker. I carry a pair of spare pads and a cable. That’s it. Avid BB7 - Very easy to service.

The thing I always forget to pack are my nail clippers.

Mine has the same brakes, I don’t even carry a spare cable, though they look and work ok, it’s about time I replaced them all.

ATTACH=full]406816[/ATTACH]
2017_December_Barker-Inlet-Day-2-07.jpg

My bikepacking bike, a Salsa Mukluk has disc brakes whereas my Surly Long Haul Trucker has v-brakes. Both do the job, but if I was buying a new touring bike and discs where an option I would probably go with those.

Oh the Salsa is tubeless too ... <whoops> :smile:

Attachments

• 2017_December_Barker-Inlet-Day-2-07.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 2017_December_Barker-Inlet-Day-2-07.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
No way I'm swapping my ordinary for one of those horrendous new fangled safety bicycles. No siree.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've had disc brakes on a few bikes and can safely say that their only advantage over rim brakes is no rim wear and a bent wheel doesn't really affect braking.
Granted they're more powerful, but both types stop the bike in the same distance. Either type will lock the tyre or flip the bike under the same circumstances.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've had disc brakes on a few bikes and can safely say that their only advantage over rim brakes is no rim wear and a bent wheel doesn't really affect braking.
Granted they're more powerful, but both types stop the bike in the same distance. Either type will lock the tyre or flip the bike under the same circumstances.

And of course disc brakes are much more effective in the wet.

Bodhbh

Guru
I've got a BB7 disc brake at the front and a Deore disc brake at the back. Only cos that's what was in the bit box at the time. If one of em goes, I'll replace it with a more rational setup but neither seemed inclined to die. Both have been going +10yrs no problem. The BB7 will prolly go first - lot of crusted aluminium there - death by road salt.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
And of course disc brakes are much more effective in the wet.

To be honest, I've never in the 6 1/2 years I've had the vantage had issues with braking in the wet. I pull the lever and the brakes bite straight away.
I'd say the cables and fingers get an easier life with more powerful brakes though. Prior to replacing the Oryx's with v brakes, keeping the bike under control on a rocky descent I pulled the lever so hard and so long that the outer broke through the sti housing :ohmy: and my hands were killing me.

My 10 year old commuter bike has Shimano cable disk brakes and they are trouble free and effective. They work as well in the wet as the dry and they have plenty of stopping power. I find that in the wet, rim brakes take a rotation or two to bite unless you feather the brakes to clear them.
For tourists, they prevent the rim from getting too hot on a big decent. What are the disadvantages of disks for tourists?
Pads? Pick a common type and carry the small spare pads. I have problems finding pads for my old cantilevers in many bike shops, they are all v-brake pads now. You have to cut them down with a hacksaw to fit.
Fork stiffness? You do need a stronger, stiffer fork for disks which has less built-in vibration absorption. fatter tyres would probably help.
The location of the rear brake should be on the chainstay to avoid interference with rack and 'guards. Brake manufacturers have yet to adjust the cable exit angle for this location.

Top Bottom