I dont understand this simple basic thing and I dont trust pc world

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
ok...

next question then.,

which 'brand' of ram is best or is that irrelevant?

how do i know it will fit?...

if I pos t up which pc model it is 2morrow can somebody just point me in the right direction to an on line 'ram shop' so i can buy it and install it and avoid pc world?

Abitrary

Actually, I'm just looking at the crucial site that yenrod mentioned and it reckons that windows vista etc. can only ever use 3 - 3.5gb - I thought it was 4.

Just get an extra 2 gb then. That crucial site is excellent btw. It tells you everything you need to know for an upgrade and advises you.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
We just need the make and model, that's all. As for fitting, ram is a standard part, there's no worry about that. Get the right sort of ram and it'll work.

dudi

before you go pulling parts out of the computer and taking photos BOAB, how good are you at this kind of thing? It's all very well these guys telling you it's easy, but if you don't know roughly what you're looking at it can be quite confusing... my boss wouldn't be able to do it and he's a fairly practical guy... computers are expensive, and not the sort of thing you want to go pulling about willy nilly as they cost more to fix in the long run.
Having said that, with the right info, there's no reason you shuldn't be able to do it...

If you tell us the make & model, chances are we can find you a guide on how to do it, tell you what RAM to get and make sure there's no cock ups.

You don't need to take the thing apart until you're ready to put the new RAM in... and that is as simple as finding the right hole and sliding it on in there... then clipping a couple of clips down.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

ok..this pc is a Dell Dimension E520...well that ius what it says on the front.

Could not having 'Service pack 2' installed be the issue? I notice sibellius suggests this on the box.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if all he's using it for is itunes, that spec is fine. always take apple's minimum requirements with a pinch of salt, they usually over-specify. i have a mac with considerably less than 1gb which runs itunes fine.

if it's the os that's memory hungry, stick windows xp on it instead.

you're right about pc world, halfords of computing…

gbb

Legendary Member
Vista (IIRC) requires quite a lot of RAM....and if you're running Norton Security, it takes a lot as well.
1Gb of RAM isnt so much, and its quite easy to upgrade.
Cost be about £30 to upgrade to 2gb and if you're willing to do it yourself, it takes 10 minutes to do.

If you want to see whats in there...
Side off the cover, locate the memory card (or cards), release the catches, slide out the card...which'll have the relevent info on them. You may even be able to see the info without removing the cards.

Slide new card(s) in and turn on...the PC will automatically look after itself from then on.

Upgrading from 1 to 2 gig certainly makes a difference.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

I am 100% hopeless at PC stuff...but I can and do mess with my Digital mixing desk a bit..so...

...anyway..Moose thanks for that link...if I just bought that would it work in his PC?

dudi

Aloha.

found a picture of the innnard for you, and pointed to the RAM, looks like there's an empty slot in there, so nice & easy to sort out some new memory.

View attachment 1882

Also, from what I can gather, the computer uses PC4200 533MHz DDR2 RAM, so you'll need to get the equivelant equivalent same stuff.

Go for something like this. as you only have 2 slots available from what I can see you only really have the option of going for 2GB (add one extra 1gb stick) or replace the one in there at the moment and put in 2x 2GB sticks, giving 4GB matching memory in total. it's not very expensive and will show a great improvement.

You just need to slide the sde off the case, locate the RAM, insert and secure the new ones (they only go in 1 way round, there's a litle cutaway which is off centre).

Hope that helps you.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Excellent...looks like something even I could do!

Many thanks mate!:biggrin:

.. his pc has an intel sticker on the front ..so does this mean that I can ignore this warning from the ebay ram seller?

This memory is ONLY compatible with computers or motherboards that have an INTEL CPU onboard. This is NOT compatible with AMD CPUs

also...if I get the £20.99 ram..thats 4gb right..which is x4 what he already has , correct?....so the exisiting ram card could then be taken out and used say in my pc...which is an advent with an intel pent 4 inside?

PC world are asking £45 to fit 1gb ram

dudi

BigonaBianchi said:
Excellent...looks like something even I could do!

Many thanks mate!:biggrin:

.. his pc has an intel sticker on the front ..so does this mean that I can ignore this warning from the ebay ram seller?

also...if I get the £20.99 ram..thats 4gb right..which is x4 what he already has , correct?....so the exisiting ram card could then be taken out and used say in my pc...which is an advent with an intel pent 4 inside?

PC world are asking £45 to fit 1gb ram

Yeah, that's 4GB in 2x 2GB sticks. and his poota will be fine with that RAM. and yes, provided that your PC takes RAM that's not any higher spec you'll be OK to put that in to boost your own PC...

once you've done it on one computer you'll be able to do it on any other computer.

Top Bottom