I don't understand...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
...the BBC weather forecast.

weather.JPG

The summary for today says light rain and there's a raindrop image. But none of the individual hourly images has a raindrop and the highest risk of rain seems to be 8% around 10ish.

Surely the summary should be related to what's going on during the day.

I shall have to stick to my tried and tested method of just looking out of the window!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
They should give up trying to cover all bases and just put this at the start of every day :unsure:

Jody

Stubborn git
The summary for today says light rain and there's a raindrop image. But none of the individual hourly images has a raindrop and the highest risk of rain seems to be 8% around 10ish.

They are all the same. There is a slim chance you will catch some sporadic light rain but overall its going to be slightly overcast with some sun. Looking at the rainfall radar it seems to be fairly accurate.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Now that my working week no longer requires me to work around the weather I don't worry any more.
The times I've put certain jobs back due to a forecast ,only for it to be wrong and the opposite to what they said!!

It's 22°C. In my work place and dry :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s easy down here. If you’ve got a window open it.

Milzy

Guru

View attachment 396681

Surely the summary should be related to what's going on during the day.

I shall have to stick to my tried and tested method of just looking out of the window!
Someone’s really got way too much time on their hands

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Now that my working week no longer requires me to work around the weather I don't worry any more.
The times I've put certain jobs back due to a forecast ,only for it to be wrong and the opposite to what they said!!

It's 22°C. In my work place and dry :smile:
As a window cleaner for 14 years i'd worry about how the weather was going to be the following day when i was out working. If it was a bad forecast like snow or very heavy rain i'd avoid going out sometimes,only to see the weather not as bad as predicted:dry:. On the other hand i'd go out after hearing a reasonable forecast only to be snowed or rained off soon after getting there. Many an hour i spent sheltering in someone's doorway shaking my fist at the sky.:cursing: Nowadays i only listen to the forecast to see if my dog will get his belly wet when out walking.

snorri

Legendary Member
Yes, I agree, it gives a first impression of rain all day and every day, the three rain drops and percentage figure are only creating screen clutter.
In the unlikely situation of a few drops of rain ruining my day I would be seeking out a more sophisticated (and expensive) weather forecasting service.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5157378, member: 9609"]similar situation here, i'm at the northern end of a large group of hills and certain wind directions will make a total mockery of the forecasts, beeb currently says its heavy cloud, reality is unbroken blue skies and warm spring sunshine.[/QUOTE]
Similar situation here. I'm at the eastern edge of a large flat area extending about 40 miles in all directions west of N to S and most wind directions and tidal conditions make a total mockery of BBC forecasts. They said it'd be showery but it's currently sunny with fluffy white clouds in blue skies.

Are there any landscapes where BBC forecasts ARE accurate?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I once heard a meterologist interviewed who said that basically the best way of predicting the weather is to assume that it's probably going to be pretty similar to how it was yesterday.

Yes, I remember seeing or reading something similar, do not recall where. Supposedly, if you forecast the weather on the basis of "same as yesterday", then statistically, you will be right more often that the computer!

I have no idea if this is true. ;)

My method is: take brolly or waterproofs, then, it will not rain, leave them behind, and it will rain.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The micro climate around the bay, where I live, makes a mockery of pretty much any forecast.

[QUOTE 5157378, member: 9609"]similar situation here, i'm at the northern end of a large group of hills and ...[/QUOTE]

Similar situation here. I'm at the eastern edge of a large flat area ...

These micro-climates are everywhere!

Top Bottom