I don't understand...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
...the BBC weather forecast.

View attachment 396681

The summary for today says light rain and there's a raindrop image. But none of the individual hourly images has a raindrop and the highest risk of rain seems to be 8% around 10ish.

Surely the summary should be related to what's going on during the day.

I shall have to stick to my tried and tested method of just looking out of the window!

What is an 8% risk of rain anyway?

How much rain is rather important.

Risk has two components, probability and impact.

Knowing one without the other is worthless.

mustang1

Legendary Member
This is how I roll:

If the forecast is bad, it could be good or bad .
If the forecast is good, it could be bad or good.

I can't ever book holidays based on how the forecast is.

Drago

Legendary Member

View attachment 396681

The summary for today says light rain and there's a raindrop image. But none of the individual hourly images has a raindrop and the highest risk of rain seems to be 8% around 10ish.

I shall have to stick to my tried and tested method of just looking out of the window!

Allow me to translate.

It will be simultaneously sunny, cloudy, and light rainy. There's a 3% chance it will be 18°C, and 3 big wet bits will spurt from the North West. I always pay close attention to what that Betty Mountain says.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I tend to use the forecast for temperatures mostly... i like to know if I'm likely to come across ice on tomorrow morning's commute.

regarding rain... if it says it will rain, it usually does. If it 'might' rain, it tends to drop on the hills a few miles east rather than here.

Wind dictates which direction I'll ride. I only head up the Lune valley if the prevailing wind is very light, or if the wind's coming from the east. If it's windy, I like to have it on my back on the last half of a ride.

PapaZita

Guru

View attachment 396681

I don't know if all the probabilities of it raining in any given hour are independent. An 8% chance of rain is a 92% chance that it'll stay dry. Multiply all those percentages up for the whole day, and I make it something like a 40% chance of staying dry all day. So more likely than not it'll rain, at some point. I think the rain symbol is justified.

:rain:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I don't like or trust it either. Its been (and still is) telling me that every day is 'and breezy', when it certainly hasn't been, until today.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I just go with whatever Lucy Verasemy says......she is in love with me (although she may not realise it just yet) and she is a £millionaire.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

colly

Re member eR
Yowindow ........if you have a smartphone, is a nifty little weather app
If you dont mind an ad strip at the bottom it free.
You can buy it for a couple of quid though with no ads.

It has pics and sound and it's interactive. Quite accurate too.

Top Bottom