I expect you've all seen this. Driver tweets about a collision.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, I see now, you think he remained on the vehicle whilst in the hedge?

Tell me, can I interest you in some shares in a marmalade mine I've discovered in Hackney?

I looked into investing in this, but it looks a pig in a poke to me.

The geological substrata north of the Thames do not encourage the development of a proper, tangy marmalade of the sort the British market puts a premium on.

Because of the effects of the water table, the chunks will be smaller than usual and there will be an overwhelming and unpleasant sweetness to the end product. At best, the marmalade will have some limited industrial application in picture framing and eel husbandry. Both are small markets already crowded with investors.

Better by far to invest in my scheme to use rockets with parachutes to import butter from the Moon. It's a win-win.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

The geological substrata north of the Thames do not encourage the development of a proper, tangy marmalade of the sort the British market puts a premium on.

Because of the effects of the water table, the chunks will be smaller than usual and there will be an overwhelming and unpleasant sweetness to the end product. At best, the marmalade will have some limited industrial application in picture framing and ell husbandry. Both are small markets already crowded with investors.

Better by far to invest in my scheme to use rockets with parachutes to import butter from the Moon. It's a win-win.

Please explain the logic underlying that conclusion.

Because of the effects of the water table, the chunks will be smaller than usual and there will be an overwhelming and unpleasant sweetness to the end product. At best, the marmalade will have some limited industrial application in picture framing and ell husbandry. Both are small markets already crowded with investors.

:blink:

that bbc story is a load of old trousers, they've included child casualty stats. er, children don't drive cars, you can't claim that's a meaningful article.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2466225, member: 30090"]I knew karma would bite the cycling fraternity in the arse. From the well balanced view of the journo writing for the Mail yesterday to this trash - it did not take long but from the BBC?:rolleyes:[/quote]
The beeb does have form in this area - witness their recent trashy programme about 'the war on Britain's roads', featuring among other things a 'typical' courier's race through the streets of London, which they neglected to mention was well known to have been arranged, organised and financed by a production company looking for some exciting footage.

Interesting to learn this, though:

Cycling campaigners are calling for a new law in Scotland to make motorists automatically at fault in an accident. The UK is one of only five European countries - Cyprus, Malta, Romania and Ireland being the others - that does not currently have the "strict liability" law.

I'd heard of such laws...but I didn't know they were anything like that commonplace.

that bbc story is a load of old trousers, they've included child casualty stats. er, children don't drive cars, you can't claim that's a meaningful article.

It looks to me like a case of "I suppose we'd better say something about it then" from the BBC.
They could have put it on HYS so we could see the old classics trotted out from the neanderthals.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
His story didn't change. He didn't report it because he didn't want to scare his girlfriend. Stop making stuff up.

It's already been pointed out in this thread but not only are you hard of thinking but hard of reading too.

This from Sky News

"She came on to my side of the road. I took the wing mirror off and I went flying off my bike into a hedge," he told BBC Norfolk.
"She hit me hard, really hard. I am lucky to be alive but I managed to get out of the hedge and stand up.

This from road.cc

"I was sticking to the left as the corner was blind. A car came round in the opposite direction going much too quickly to make the corner safely. It missed the rider in front of me but hit me, my right leg caught the front right wing. I was thrown up onto the bonnet, I hit the side of windsrceen and the wing mirror. I bounced back off the car and went through a hedge for about 20 metres. I managed to keep control of the bike; the back brake had locked on but I managed to rejoin the road and stop in the middle of it"

:huh:

@glenn forger HTH

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . . . . . "bounced back off the car and went through a hedge for about 20 metres. I managed to keep control of the bike; the back brake had locked on but I managed to rejoin the road and stop in the middle of it"

I have to say, I was rather surprised at the distance to which he refers . . . 'about 20 metres', is 'about' 60 feet . . . that's one heck of a distance to travel anywhere off the road (on a road bike), let alone, 'go through a hedge'; I do wonder if he has exaggerated the situation, for dramatic effect.

BSRU

A Human Being
According to the Guardian report, the cyclist tweeted the driver stating that she did not knock him off:wacko:
Hockley was identified after he responded to Way's tweet by posting a message to her Facebook page. He wrote: "Oh hi! That was me you hit and FYI, you didn't knock me off, I'm too hard to be hurt by a pissy micra or whatever it was you were driving"

mad despot

Veteran
According to the Guardian report, the cyclist tweeted the driver stating that she did not knock him off:wacko:
Hockley was identified after he responded to Way's tweet by posting a message to her Facebook page. He wrote: "Oh hi! That was me you hit and FYI, you didn't knock me off, I'm too hard to be hurt by a ****y micra or whatever it was you were driving"
The plot thickens! :bravo:

I have to say, I was rather surprised at the distance to which he refers . . . 'about 20 metres', is 'about' 60 feet . . . that's one heck of a distance to travel anywhere off the road (on a road bike), let alone, 'go through a hedge'; I do wonder if he has exaggerated the situation, for dramatic effect.
I dunno, Lance Armstrong managed a ploughed field.

I imagine he has embellished it, I mean you would, wouldn't you and then tempered it when he realized it was getting a bit more serious. I hope that's all though.

albion

Guru
Methinks the reality is that the type of person that tweeter is perceived to be is mainly responsible for the gross insurance fees for the young.
I see the the AA president said the hatred is akin to racial discrimination from a a minority of drivers, "particularly those aged 18-24."
My own observation is exactly that too, though white van man has a longer longevity on this matter.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3600928.ece

It is quite sad that young drivers are now forced to pay thousands in insurance because a percentage display near non existent learning ability.

Top Bottom